[comp.windows.x] X on top of Microsoft Windows ?

jkenton@pinocchio.encore.com (Jeff Kenton) (02/22/90)

A friend of mine has a client who wants to build X on top of Microsoft
Windows (or the Presentation Manager).  It sounds as if it would be
very big and very slow, even on a 386 or 486 machine.

Has this been done? Can it be done? Should it be done? What would it take?

Any hints are welcome -- post or e-mail.

      jeff kenton  ---	temporarily at jkenton@pinocchio.encore.com

keith@hpcvlx.cv.hp.com (Keith Taylor) (02/24/90)

>A friend of mine has a client who wants to build X on top of Microsoft
>Windows (or the Presentation Manager).  It sounds as if it would be
>very big and very slow, even on a 386 or 486 machine.
>
>Has this been done? Can it be done? Should it be done? What would it take?

I saw an ad in NASA Tech Briefs for a product called X11/AT which
appears to be X11R3 inside a Microsoft Window. It's from a
company called Integrated Inference Machines and lists for $395.
Their phone # is (714) 978-6201.

I've never seen this software run and know nothing about the company.
I've just seen the ad.

Keith M. Taylor		keith@cv.hp.com
Hewlett-Packard
Corvallis, Oregon

dick@unix386.Convergent.COM (Dick Hacking) (03/03/90)

In article <100920174@hpcvlx.cv.hp.com>, keith@hpcvlx.cv.hp.com (Keith Taylor) writes:
> >A friend of mine has a client who wants to build X on top of Microsoft
> >Windows (or the Presentation Manager).  It sounds as if it would be
> >very big and very slow, even on a 386 or 486 machine.
> >
> >Has this been done? Can it be done? Should it be done? What would it take?

I use software from Visionware running under MSDOS and Microsoft
windows called Xvision. It only needs 640K to run in, although you
get much better performance if you have extra memory. Up to 9
concurrent windows.

Visionware can be reached at P.O Box 3991 Minneapolis MN 55405 (612)377-3627
Sorry, I cant tell you how much it costs.
Dick Hacking