[comp.windows.x] X11R4 crashing on sun 386i's

crouch@crunchie.axion.bt.co.uk (Chris Rouch) (02/28/90)

Some of our users have just had their sun 386i's upgraded to X11R4. They
report that occasionally, usually when iconifying or deiconifying, the X
server crashes. The window manager in use is twm.

Has anyone seen any similar problems. I'm sorry this is a bit vague, but
this is all the information I've got.

Chris
Chris Rouch                                             crouch@axion.bt.co.uk
RT3141, BTRL, Martlesham Heath, Ipswich, England.              +44 473 646093

Pick a card. Any card. WRONG.

kaul@icarus.eng.ohio-state.edu (Rich Kaul) (02/28/90)

In article <1990Feb27.181849.27440@axion.bt.co.uk> crouch@crunchie.axion.bt.co.uk (Chris Rouch) writes:
   Some of our users have just had their sun 386i's upgraded to X11R4. They
   report that occasionally, usually when iconifying or deiconifying, the X
   server crashes. The window manager in use is twm.

I have seen similar effects.  In my case, though, the window that was
being iconified has always been an emacs window under twm.  I haven't
had time to dig through the core dump to find out where the problem
is and probably won't for a while.

-rich
-=-
Rich Kaul                         | "Horse sense is what keeps horses from
kaul@icarus.eng.ohio-state.edu    |  betting on what people will do."
or ...!osu-cis!kaul		  |  			-Damon  Runyon

madd@world.std.com (jim frost) (02/28/90)

crouch@crunchie.axion.bt.co.uk (Chris Rouch) writes:
>Some of our users have just had their sun 386i's upgraded to X11R4. They
>report that occasionally, usually when iconifying or deiconifying, the X
>server crashes. The window manager in use is twm.

>Has anyone seen any similar problems. I'm sorry this is a bit vague, but
>this is all the information I've got.

Yes, I had exactly the same problem.  Sun 386i/150, X11R4 compiled
with cc, SunOS 4.0.1.  Always when iconifying or destroying a window
so far as I could tell.

jim frost
saber software
jimf@saber.com

rws@EXPO.LCS.MIT.EDU (Bob Scheifler) (03/02/90)

Several people have reported this, but no one has yet supplied a stack trace,
or even (as I recall) said whether they have applied public fixes 1 and 2.
We don't have a 386i in-house, so we have no way of looking at this problem
without help.  Stack traces are essential.

rws@EXPO.LCS.MIT.EDU (Bob Scheifler) (03/05/90)

Thanks for the stack trace.  My apologies, we fixed this about a month ago,
and I thought sure the fix was included in public fix #2, but apparently
it wasn't.  My fault.  We'll try to get the fix out real soon.