[comp.windows.x] xdm on an ncd terminal

crouch@crunchie.axion.bt.co.uk (Chris Rouch) (02/23/90)

The R4 xdm man page gives the impression that xdm will work on an X
terminal. Can somebody tell me how to get this working, or point me at
documentation that will tell me.

Thanks,

Chris
Chris Rouch                                             crouch@axion.bt.co.uk
RT3141, BTRL, Martlesham Heath, Ipswich, England.              +44 473 646093

unspoilt by progress

klein@lupine.UUCP (Doug Klein ) (03/02/90)

In article <1990Feb23.145734.21575@axion.bt.co.uk>, crouch@crunchie.axion.bt.co.uk (Chris Rouch) writes:
> The R4 xdm man page gives the impression that xdm will work on an X
> terminal. Can somebody tell me how to get this working, or point me at
> documentation that will tell me.

(We see this question so much I'll just post to the net)

The 2.1 release of the NCD server software implements the R4 XDMCP code. This
release of the software will be 'hitting the streets' in the next few weeks
to our support customers. For more information on obtaining new software,
contact either your local NCD representative or distributor, or mail to

	support@ncd.com

Previous versions of the NCD server will work with the R4 xdm, but you will
be presented with the loss of the login screen after a power cycle or reset.
I.e., everything is fine as long as you leave your terminal powered on.

Doug Klein
klein@ncd.com

--

Doug Klein
Network Computing Devices

rwl@amber.cs.Virginia.EDU (Ray Lubinsky) (03/06/90)

In article <1025@lupine.UUCP>, klein@lupine.UUCP (Doug Klein ) writes:

> The 2.1 release of the NCD server software implements the R4 XDMCP code. This
> release of the software will be 'hitting the streets' in the next few weeks
> to our support customers. For more information on obtaining new software,
> contact either your local NCD representative or distributor, or mail to
>
> 	support@ncd.com
>
> Previous versions of the NCD server will work with the R4 xdm, but you will
> be presented with the loss of the login screen after a power cycle or reset.
> I.e., everything is fine as long as you leave your terminal powered on.

That's good to hear.  Two questions: (1) will the server code be available for
both the 16-inch and 16-inch NCD terminals?  (2) Will I be able to continue to
have X11R3 clients display on the new server? [We want to get X11R4 up but only
after our NCD terminals are able to cope with it.]

Thanks in advance.

| Ray Lubinsky                           rwl@uvacs.cs.Virginia.EDU (Internet) |
|                                        rwl@virginia                (BITnet) |
| Department of Computer Science,        ...!uunet!virginia!uvacs!rwl  (UUCP) |
| University of Virginia                 (804) 982-2219               (voice) |