[comp.windows.x] X11R4 under HP-UX 7.0

mark@comp.vuw.ac.nz (Mark Davies) (03/02/90)

Has anyone build R4 under HP-UX 7.0 on a series 300 machine?

Everything built and worked fine under 6.5.
Under 7.0 everything builds without complaint (except for warnings because
SIGCHLD is now defined in signal.h), the server works, some of the clients
work, but other clients (notably xterm, xman, xcalc, xdm) fail immediately
with the message:

Cannot perform realloc

(from lib/Xt/Alloc.c)
There should be plenty of swap space (the 6.5 built clients work in the
same circumstances).

The only thing I changed (apart from the operating system :-) was in
config/hp.cf change the OSName etc to:
#define OSName                 HP-UX 7.0
#define OSMajorVersion         7
#define OSMinorVersion         0

Any ideas what is going on?

cheers
mark

bobm@hpcvlx.cv.hp.com (Bob May) (03/03/90)

> Has anyone build R4 under HP-UX 7.0 on a series 300 machine?
> Everything built and worked fine under 6.5.
> Under 7.0 everything builds without complaint (except for warnings because
> SIGCHLD is now defined in signal.h), the server works, some of the clients
> work, but other clients (notably xterm, xman, xcalc, xdm) fail immediately
> with the message:
>
> Cannot perform realloc
>
> Any ideas what is going on?

There's a bug in the hp.cf file on the standard distribution bits. The
compiler flag MALLOC_0_RETURNS_NULL must be defined if you are using
the standard libc malloc package. If you don't, you see the realloc errors.
Try adding -DMALLOC_0_RETURNS_NULL to the compile line for the Xt
code, and recompile Alloc.c. This should help you.

Yes, the bug's been submitted to MIT...

> cheers
> mark

    Bob May
    Hewlett-Packard
    Interface Technology Operation
    bobm@hpcvlx.cv.hp.com

dgreen@monet.watson.ibm.com (Dan Greening) (03/03/90)

mark@comp.vuw.ac.nz (Mark Davies) writes in comp.windows.x:

> Has anyone build R4 under HP-UX 7.0 on a series 300 machine?
>
> Everything built and worked fine under 6.5.
> Under 7.0 everything builds without complaint (except for warnings because
> SIGCHLD is now defined in signal.h), the server works, some of the clients
> work, but other clients (notably xterm, xman, xcalc, xdm) fail immediately
> with the message:
>
> Cannot perform realloc
>
> (from lib/Xt/Alloc.c)
> There should be plenty of swap space (the 6.5 built clients work in the
> same circumstances).
>
> The only thing I changed (apart from the operating system :-) was in
> config/hp.cf change the OSName etc to:
> #define OSName                 HP-UX 7.0
> #define OSMajorVersion         7
> #define OSMinorVersion         0
>
> Any ideas what is going on?
>
> cheers
> mark

This is exactly the problem I had.  A similar problem was reported to me
by a colleague at Washington State University.  I posted a request for
help to comp.sys.hp about three weeks ago.  I received this response from
Kris Olander, who runs on a 9000/340:

> I've compiled X11R4 (with patched through fix-2) with very few
> difficulties.   I wasn't able to startup X fresh from compiling until
> I made /usr/bin/X a soft link to /usr/bin/Xhp, chmod 2755 on Xhp,xterm,
> and xload, and finally, chgrp sys Xhp,xterm,xload.

It was the only helpful response I've received.  HP techs told me "gosh,
I thought everything worked in HP 7.0 :-)" and that was about it.
I have not been able to test this solution, since I am now physically
distant from the HP machines I help administer.

IF THE ABOVE METHOD SOLVES THE "Cannot perform realloc" PROBLEM, COULD
SOMEONE PLEASE LET ME KNOW BY E-MAIL?  Thanks.

Dan R. Greening		12 Foster Court			NY (914) 789-7860
dgreen@cs.ucla.edu	Croton-on-Hudson, NY 10520	CA (213) 825-2266

mark@comp.vuw.ac.nz (Mark Davies) (03/04/90)

I write about X clients failing under HP-UX 7.0 with:
	 Cannot perform realloc

In article <1990Mar2.185840.24495@arnor.uucp> dgreen@cs.ucla.edu writes:
>This is exactly the problem I had.  A similar problem was reported to me
>by a colleague at Washington State University.  I posted a request for
>help to comp.sys.hp about three weeks ago.  I received this response from
>Kris Olander, who runs on a 9000/340:

>> I've compiled X11R4 (with patched through fix-2) with very few
>> difficulties.   I wasn't able to startup X fresh from compiling until
>> I made /usr/bin/X a soft link to /usr/bin/Xhp, chmod 2755 on Xhp,xterm,
>> and xload, and finally, chgrp sys Xhp,xterm,xload.

>IF THE ABOVE METHOD SOLVES THE "Cannot perform realloc" PROBLEM, COULD
>SOMEONE PLEASE LET ME KNOW BY E-MAIL?  Thanks.

No it doesn't.

The correct fix came from Bob May <bobm@hpcvlx.cv.hp.com> in article
<100920183@hpcvlx.cv.hp.com> in comp.windows.x.

Seems under 7.0 you need to define MALLOC_0_RETURNS_NULL.
I did this and everything now works smoothly.

cheers
mark

ben@hpcvlx.cv.hp.com (Benjamin Ellsworth) (03/06/90)

> Seems under 7.0 you need to define MALLOC_0_RETURNS_NULL.
> I did this and everything now works smoothly.
>
> mark

Yup.  Seems that the config file in the MIT distribution missed that
define.

---
Ben