[comp.windows.x] General WM/window info

argv%turnpike@Sun.COM (Dan Heller) (02/22/90)

In article <478@med.Stanford.EDU> rick@hanauma (Richard Ottolini) writes:
> "olwm" doesn't accept font arguments and xv_set (base_frame,XV_FONT...)
> doesn't work.  Suggestions?  (I see that there are various sized olglyph
> fonts.)

Remember: a "frame" (or base window) in an application is not
associated with the window manager's decorations for toplevel
windows (children of the root window).  That means that the
application does not have direct control over the fonts or
colors of the titlebar, resize handles, gadgets or whatever
that are installed on titlebar of the window.  These functions
are strictly window manager responsibilities and applications
should not be able to set such attributes.

Sepcifically to XView, setting XV_FONT in anything in the
application will not affect your titlebar font.  Use your
X resources or window manager functions to set such attributes.
dan
		    O'Reilly && Associates
		argv@sun.com / argv@ora.com
	   632 Petaluma Ave, Sebastopol, CA 95472
     800-338-NUTS, in CA: 800-533-NUTS, FAX 707-829-0104

mh@awds18.eaton.com (Mike H.) (02/23/90)

>> "olwm" doesn't accept font arguments and xv_set (base_frame,XV_FONT...)
>> doesn't work.  Suggestions?  (I see that there are various sized olglyph
>> fonts.)
>Remember: a "frame" (or base window) in an application is not
>associated with the window manager's decorations for toplevel
>windows (children of the root window).  That means that the
>application does not have direct control over the fonts or
>colors of the titlebar, resize handles, gadgets or whatever
>that are installed on titlebar of the window.  These functions
>are strictly window manager responsibilities and applications
>should not be able to set such attributes.

why should'nt an application be able to set such attributes ?
doing something like changing the color or the font of the title bar
seems like a pretty pedestrian thing to want to do.

-mike

converse@EXPO.LCS.MIT.EDU (Donna Converse) (02/23/90)

Concerning titlebars:

> why should'nt an application be able to set such attributes ?
> doing something like changing the color or the font of the title bar
> seems like a pretty pedestrian thing to want to do.

The *user* can do this, via the window manager; the application programmer
should not dictate, not give the application the ability to dictate, what
is actually under the purview of the window manager.

hvr@kimba.Sun.COM (Heather Rose) (03/06/90)

In article <132159@sun.Eng.Sun.COM> argv@sun.UUCP (Dan Heller) writes:
>In article <478@med.Stanford.EDU> rick@hanauma (Richard Ottolini) writes:
>> "olwm" doesn't accept font arguments and xv_set (base_frame,XV_FONT...)
>> doesn't work.  Suggestions?  (I see that there are various sized olglyph
>> fonts.)
>
>Remember: a "frame" (or base window) in an application is not
>associated with the window manager's decorations for toplevel
>windows (children of the root window).  That means that the
>application does not have direct control over the fonts or
>colors of the titlebar, resize handles, gadgets or whatever
>that are installed on titlebar of the window.  These functions
>are strictly window manager responsibilities and applications
>should not be able to set such attributes.
>
>Sepcifically to XView, setting XV_FONT in anything in the
>application will not affect your titlebar font.  Use your
>X resources or window manager functions to set such attributes.

Just browsing the olwm man page...

     olwm.TitleFont
          Font used in title bars above the windows.  Default  is
          Lucida-Sans Bold.

     olwm.IconFont
          Font used in icons.  Default is Lucida-Sans.

     olwm.MenuTitleFont
          Font used in the title (first line) of menus.   Default
          is lucidasans-bold-12.

     olwm.MenuButtonFont
          Font used for individual entries in menus.  Default  is
          lucidasans-12.

     olwm.GlyphFont
          Glyph font used for drawing OPEN  LOOK  graphics.   You
          probably don't want to change this.

Regards,

Heather