[net.news] "FREE"dom of the net

bllklly@uwmacc.UUCP (Bill Kelly) (10/25/84)

<$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$>

In article <199@looking.UUCP> brad@looking.UUCP (Brad Templeton) writes:
>Here's an interesting figure:
>
>Netnews is now running around 500 K bytes per day, according to statistics
>from siesmo.  With 1200 baud modems and 100 bytes/sec throughput, that's
>83

I guess our news software is sensitive to discussion of money!  This was
supposed to be 65 lines, I think.

There's a lot of talk about line counts being off for various reasons.
Looking at our (2.10.2) log file, 71 of 240 articles we got yesterday had bad
line counts.  50 of those had 1 line less than expected, which seems pretty
systematic.  The other 20 showed no such pattern (I haven't looked at the
articles themselves).  I haven't seen anyone mention the problem being
that widespread.  Comments?
--

Bill Kelly
{allegra, ihnp4, seismo}!uwvax!uwmacc!bllklly

"Life's like a jigsaw...you get the straight bits, but there's plenty
 missing in the middle." -- Xtc