[comp.windows.x] Xview and OpenWindows Questions

hvr@eng.sun.COM (Heather Rose) (03/07/90)

> Date: Mon, 5 Mar 90 17:37:47 PST
> From: crons@thunder.ocf.llnl.gov (Eugene Cronshagen)
> Subject: Xview and OpenWindows Questions
>
> Heather,
> 	I don't know if this is proper (sending mail to you vs. some other channel) or if this will even reach you, but I have read your postings on the Net and was wondering if you (or somebody else there) could answer a few quick questions about Xview and OpenWindows.

We'd like to use the mailing list xpert or the news group, comp.windows.x,
for general Q&A issues.  If you put XView in the subject line, we'll find
it quicker.  Please see the README in the source distribution for information
on bug reporting.  We'd like XView programmer's to help eachother with
general Q&A issues.

> 	I am running OpenWindows 1.0 (Developers Release) and have ported some SunView programs to XView.  (Not without some difficulty; my documentation was way behind.)  Anyways, I saw your postings re the availability of patches to XView as contained in X11R4 and also for olwm.  Thinking that this might fix some of the problems I was having with XView and wanting to try olwm, I got all the files from expo.  But I found that I couldn't do much since what was there seems to assume that you had built X11R4 (i.e

, had imake, etc.), but OpenWindows doesn't come that way.

OpenWindows binary product customers have several Sun supplied support
mechanisms:  local country Answer Centers which supply support on warranty
as well as a contractual basis, local sales office provides a certain
amount, the marketing group's ISV support program, Sun consulting which is
on an hourly fee basis.

> 	So my questions are:
>
> 1)  How does this XView compare with what is in OpenWindows 1.0?  Are they the same?

XView 1.0 source was put on expo last summer.
XView 1.0.1 source was supplied on the X11R4 tape, plus two patches have
been placed on expo.

We use the same source to build the XView libraries for OpenWindows as we
supply for public distribution.  The only difference is that the public
source has Imake files added to it, and may present alternative build
options.

> 2)  If not, what is the best way to get this new XView into my system?  Do I try to get a new version of OpenWindows (Is one available?), or do I have to try to build it myself?

The XView source is distributed the same as any other contributed source
for X11.  It is on the X11R4 tape, or it can be ftp'ed from expo or another
local source distribution point.

The latest release of OpenWindows is 1.0.1 FCS which should be available
now.  Contact either your Sun sales rep or telemarketing 1-800-USA-4SUN
for more details.

> 3) And if I build it myself, will it work with OpenWindows 1.0?

It has been tested with OpenWindows 1.0.1 and X11R4.  Chances are it will
work, but no guarantees.

> Again, I'm sorry to bother you if this is not the proper way of doing things, but I haven't seen any info about this on the Net, can't find anything about it in the documentation, and couldn't find anyone here that seems to know.  Thanks for your patience.

Just to clear things up:  the XView source code is a separate product than
the OpenWindows binary product.  XView source is only distributed by the
same channels as the X11 source.  XView source requires X11R4 or X11R3 to
compile.  Sun supplies a minimal amount of support for the XView source
product as described in the README file.

OpenWindows binary product customers should continue to use their normal
support mechanisms for all OpenWindows issues.  If OW issues come over the
xviewbugs alias, they will get bounced back to the person who sent it in
and request that they use the normal support mechanisms for Sun:  customers
on warranty or with service contracts can send their issues to sun!hotline;
customers who do not have a service contract or warranty has expired can
send bugs to sun!sunbugs.

Regards,

Heather