[comp.windows.x] console output and X11

jae@cs.iastate.edu (Andy Edwards) (02/14/90)

How can I redirect the console output to a spedcific Xterm (or similar client)?

I am running X11R4 on an HP 9000 model 350 workstation running
HP-UX version 6.5.  When running on the console, all annoying console
messages disrupt my display.   Is there such a thing as "xconsole"?

If there is, how can I get it?
Andy Edwards			L.F.F. ("Let the F----- Fly")
jae@atanasoff.cs.iastate.edu
Iowa State University

jeff@dsndata.uucp (Jeff Minnig) (02/15/90)

In article <605@dino.cs.iastate.edu> jae@cs.iastate.edu (Andy Edwards) writes:

> How can I redirect the console output to a spedcific Xterm (or similar client)?
>
> messages disrupt my display.   Is there such a thing as "xconsole"?

You already have it...

a) You have to create an '/usr/lib/X11/Xconsoles' file and put the
name of your display in it.  My display here is 'dsndata:0.0', so
i did 'echo dsndata >> /usr/lib/X11/Xconsoles' to create the file
from ksh.

b) Start a hpterm process from your ~/.x11start file with the
   '-C' option... See the man page on hpterm for more info...
    My ksh startup line in ~/.x11start is:

hpterm -display $DISPLAY -C -iconic -title KSH -geometry 80x24+1+1 $@ &

The only gotcha is that each time you start/kill a hpterm shell
with the  -C flag, you get a console message...  you'll see...

I did a quick look at the manual page for xterm and it shows
the '-C' tag as well... good luck.

Cheers

-jeff-

	I said it, not the people I work for.
Jeff Minnig                     | LL:   (402) 476-8278
Design Data			|
1033 'O' St.  Suite 324         | net: {hpfcla,mcmi,unocss}!dsndata!jeff
Lincoln NE 68508                |

raveling@isi.edu (Paul Raveling) (03/01/90)

In article <JEFF.90Feb14140959@dsndata.uucp>, jeff@dsndata.uucp (Jeff
Minnig) writes:

> You already have it...
>
> a) You have to create an '/usr/lib/X11/Xconsoles' file and put the
> name of your display in it.  My display here is 'dsndata:0.0', so
> i did 'echo dsndata >> /usr/lib/X11/Xconsoles' to create the file
> from ksh.

	It sure would be nice if all that per-workstation stuff
	would be somewhere other than the /usr hierachy.  All our
	HP's mount precisely the same /usr tree from 1 file server.

----------------
Paul Raveling
Raveling@isi.edu

bcripe@hpcvlx.cv.hp.com (Brian E. Cripe) (03/03/90)

>> a) You have to create an '/usr/lib/X11/Xconsoles' file and put the
>> name of your display in it.  My display here is 'dsndata:0.0', so
>	It sure would be nice if all that per-workstation stuff
>	would be somewhere other than the /usr hierachy.  All our
>	HP's mount precisely the same /usr tree from 1 file server.

The Xconsoles file specifies the display numbers on the local system
that are allowed to run "hpterm -C".  So in the case listed above,
Xconsoles should contain "0", not the full display name.  You can
also put a "*" in the file which says that all displays are allowed
to run "hpterm -C".  It seems that either of these solutions will
solve your problem of having a common /usr tree.

If all else fails, make /usr/lib/X11/Xconsoles a CDF (see cdf(4)).

	Brian Cripe
	bcripe@cv.hp.com

raveling@isi.edu (Paul Raveling) (03/03/90)

	Yet another afterthought...

Minnig) writes:

> a) You have to create an '/usr/lib/X11/Xconsoles' file and put the
> name of your display in it.  My display here is 'dsndata:0.0', so
> i did 'echo dsndata >> /usr/lib/X11/Xconsoles' to create the file
> from ksh.

	Then there's the case of which of multiple displays.
	Due to using two displays of different types on my workstation,
	I keep stumbling across various things that don't quite
	work 100% because they assume 1 display per user.

	The last such case that comes to mind was sm, the contributed
	session manager.  Saving and restoring the session state in
	this case should really look at "wherever:0.*" instead of just
	$DISPLAY.  Or should there be a separate $DISPLAY and $SCREEN?

----------------
Paul Raveling
Raveling@isi.edu

jc@minya.UUCP (John Chambers) (03/07/90)

> I did a quick look at the manual page for xterm and it shows
> the '-C' tag as well... good luck.

So does mine; when I type
	xterm -C &
it says
	 /usr/bin/X11/xterm:  bad command line option "-C"
and gives me a usage message that includes the -C as an option.  What gives?

[This is X11R3 on an ESIX system.]

--
John Chambers ...!{harvard,ima,mit-eddie}!minya!jc

[Sorry, no clever saying today.]