[comp.windows.x] Window-based mail reader available?

wargaski@ils.nwu.edu (Robert E. Wargaski Jr.) (03/01/90)

Has somebody written a window-based mail reading/sending program?  There is
a professor who, as a condition of upgrading from sunview to X11R4, wants the
ability to read his mail from within an environment similar to Sun's sunview
mailtool.

We do have mh built with all of our other R4 gunk, but do not have mh itself
(itselves? :-).

I don't care about response format (i.e. E-mail or posting).  If there are
especially helpful E-mail responses, I shall post them.

Thanks much.

Rob Wargaski

Robert E. Wargaski Jr.		    |	This is stupid. -- Vila
wargaski@ils.nwu.edu		    |	When did that ever stop us. -- Avon
NU Distributed Systems Support	    |	. . . #include <disclaimer.h> . . .

nsb@THUMPER.BELLCORE.COM (Nathaniel Borenstein) (03/01/90)

Well, if you compile contrib/toolkits/andrew, you'll get the Andrew mail
system, which is not only window-based but allows you to send either
standard (ASCII) or multimedia mail, including pictures, animations, and
lots of other neat stuff.  Check it out.

hvr@kimba.Sun.COM (Heather Rose) (03/08/90)

In article <4505@accuvax.nwu.edu> wargaski@ils.nwu.edu (Robert E. Wargaski Jr.) writes:
>Has somebody written a window-based mail reading/sending program?  There is
>a professor who, as a condition of upgrading from sunview to X11R4, wants the
>ability to read his mail from within an environment similar to Sun's sunview
>mailtool.

If he really likes the SunView mailtool, you might suggest getting a copy
of OpenWindows 1.0.1 FCS and use the clients, mailtool, etc. with the R4 server.
I use this plus File Manager to navigate the twisty passages of mail folders.
I prefer the "tree" layout to get from one place to another.  I also use
a simple shellscript to sort incoming mail into folders.  You might try the
Sun users group for mail sorting helpers.  I can't give you mine, since I
did not write it.

The next version of OpenWindows has more clients he'll probably want like a
really nice Calander Manager, so you may want to get him going with the
Sun supplied binaries now to avoid yet another transition.  It'll take him
about one to two weeks to adjust to OpenLook from SunView, but once he's
used to it, he'll most likely not want to use SunView any more.

Here's some notes from someone at Sun who is using OW 1.0.1 clients with
olwm from R4, XView from R4, and X11R4.  These can be ftp'ed from expo in
pub/XView or pub/contrib/XView (one of them).

Regards,

Heather

----------------------
R4 olwm and OpenWindows 1.0 Deskset don't mesh very well.  If you want to
use X11R4 as an "alternate source of X11 protocol interpretation" with the
OpenWindows environment, I strongly recommend:

OpenWindows 1.0.1
MIT X11R4 *w/all fixes* (currently fix-1 and fix-2)
R4 olwm w/all fixes (currently olwm-1)
XView from R4 w/all fixes (currently xview-1 and xview-2)
Run X11R4 in "backward-compatibility" mode ("xset bc").

This environment works quite well.  There are a few glitches, but no basic
functionality is missing. "Drag-and-drop", filemgr, mailtool, etc. are fine.
Probably the most annoying glitch is that "^A"'s overwrite the little boxes
in the mailtool header.  This depends on the font used - you can avoid it
by picking one of the X11R4 fixed-width fonts in lib/X11/fonts/misc, or by
importing one of the Sun screen fonts (e.g. screen-bold-16).

I'm composing this message from mailtool in an OpenWindows 1.0.1 environment
on an 8MB 4/110 running MIT X11R4 and olwm.

John