[comp.windows.x] multi plane <> grayscale ??

crouch@crunchie.axion.bt.co.uk (Chris Rouch) (02/23/90)

I'm running X on an HP multiplane monochrome workstation. I thought this
meant it would be a grayscale machine yet all the colours are either
balck or white. Was I wrong about this or didn't I configure the build
properly. And if I was wrong, what is the purpose of a multi plane machine?

Chris
Chris Rouch                                             crouch@axion.bt.co.uk
RT3141, BTRL, Martlesham Heath, Ipswich, England.              +44 473 646093

unspoilt by progress

chan@hpfcmgw.HP.COM (Chan Benson) (02/28/90)

> I'm running X on an HP multiplane monochrome workstation. I thought this
> meant it would be a grayscale machine yet all the colours are either
> balck or white. Was I wrong about this or didn't I configure the build
> properly. And if I was wrong, what is the purpose of a multi plane machine?

I'm not sure what hardware you're talking about. To my knowledge, we
make two monochrome display systems for our HP-UX workstations:

	98544B   1024x768
	98548A   1280x1024

Both of these are single plane. Strangely enough, the 98548A supports
a GreyScale visual, but it's still single plane.

The number that would identify your graphics system is on the card in
the SPU. Although for monochrome, the monitor number does uniquely
determine the display hardware (98788A monitor goes with 98548 card;
98786A monitor goes with 98544B).

			-- Chan Benson
			HP Fort Collins

crouch@crunchie.axion.bt.co.uk (Chris Rouch) (02/28/90)

In article <1210028@hpfcmgw.HP.COM>, chan@hpfcmgw.HP.COM (Chan Benson) writes:

> I'm not sure what hardware you're talking about. To my knowledge, we
> make two monochrome display systems for our HP-UX workstations:
>
> 	98544B   1024x768
> 	98548A   1280x1024
>
> Both of these are single plane. Strangely enough, the 98548A supports
> a GreyScale visual, but it's still single plane.
>
> The number that would identify your graphics system is on the card in
> the SPU. Although for monochrome, the monitor number does uniquely
> determine the display hardware (98788A monitor goes with 98548 card;
> 98786A monitor goes with 98544B).

We're using 98786A monitors. This is curious, because when we first
moved onto these workstations, from vaxstation 2000s, a couple of
programs failed because they were using copy area rather than copyplane
to load a bitmap. I assumed from that the HP display must be multiplane.

Chris
Chris Rouch                                             crouch@axion.bt.co.uk
RT3141, BTRL, Martlesham Heath, Ipswich, England.              +44 473 646093

Pick a card. Any card. WRONG.

chan@hpfcmgw.HP.COM (Chan Benson) (03/06/90)

> We're using 98786A monitors. This is curious, because when we first
> moved onto these workstations, from vaxstation 2000s, a couple of
> programs failed because they were using copy area rather than copyplane
> to load a bitmap. I assumed from that the HP display must be multiplane.

It depends on what release you're running. I forgot that on a previous
release of HP-UX, the server would report that the 98544 was an eight
plane device (please don't ask me why). This was fixed in HP-UX 6.5
I believe. I am not familiar with the MIT stuff, so I can't tell you
if or when it was fixed there.

			-- Chan Benson
			HP Fort Collins

ldm@texhrc.UUCP (Lyle Meier) (03/07/90)

cg6 display device will not run on a sun 4/110 with a cg6. This is
caused by the code in servers/ddx/sun normailizing the mmap in
sunCG6C.c to an offset based upon the page size. Unfortunatly the
page size on the sparc station is 1/2 the size of the page on a 4/110.
I believe that this problem is caused by the two different architectures,
and that it needs to be noted that the R4 sever does indeed depend upon
the kernal architecture of a sun.

david@eng.sun.com (there IS no ``average'' SubGenius) (03/08/90)

In article <395@texhrc.UUCP> ldm@texhrc.UUCP (Lyle Meier) writes:
>cg6 display device will not run on a sun 4/110 with a cg6. This is
>caused by the code in servers/ddx/sun normailizing the mmap in
>sunCG6C.c to an offset based upon the page size. Unfortunatly the
>page size on the sparc station is 1/2 the size of the page on a 4/110.

This is not really an accurate description of the problem.  There is a bug
in the SunOS 4.0.3 (Sun-3, Sun-4) version of <sundev/cg6reg.h> where the
mmap offsets are defined in terms of the "ctob" macro, which is related to
NBPG, the compile time page size constant.  The SunOS 4.0.3c (Sun-4c)
version has the correct definition in terms of the constant 8192.  So, you
will only run into problems if you compile the server on an SS-1 (aka
4/60), using the 4.0.3 include file.  If you compile on a Sun-4, or
compile on an SS-1 with the 4.0.3c include file, you will get a server
which will work correctly on any Sun-4 or Sun-4c system.

--
David DiGiacomo, Sun Microsystems, Mt. View, CA  sun!david david@eng.sun.com