[comp.windows.x] News programs?

jae@cs.iastate.edu (Andy Edwards) (03/09/90)

Hey, I just thought of something.  Does anyone have a program
(maybe called "xnews" or "xnn" or "xrn") that would read the
network news such as this?

It would be great if someone could let me know.

Thanks in advance...
Andy Edwards			L.F.F. ("Let the F----- Fly")
jae@atanasoff.cs.iastate.edu
Iowa State University

pjs@aristotle.JPL.NASA.gov (Peter Scott) (03/09/90)

Two attempts to mail to you have failed, so...

In article <763@dino.cs.iastate.edu> you write:

> Hey, I just thought of something.  Does anyone have a program
> (maybe called "xnews" or "xnn" or "xrn") that would read the
> network news such as this?
>
> It would be great if someone could let me know.
>
> Thanks in advance...

There is such a thing, I am using it right now to reply to you.
It is called xrn, and you can ftp it from shambhala.berkeley.edu.
It's pretty good.

This is news.  This is your       |    Peter Scott, NASA/JPL/Caltech
brain on news.  Any questions?    |    (pjs@aristotle.jpl.nasa.gov)

narayan@cs.iastate.edu (Pankaj Narayan) (03/09/90)

jae@cs.iastate.edu (Andy Edwards) writes:
>Hey, I just thought of something.  Does anyone have a program
>(maybe called "xnews" or "xnn" or "xrn") that would read the
>network news such as this?

	I have, in my .twmrc, the following:

"Read News"	!"xterm -T 'Usenet News' -geometry 80x40+120-120 -e nn &"

	as one the menu options, which works just fine...the window
	vanishes once you're done etc.

	Haven't seen xnn-like stuff, though....