[comp.windows.x] Xfig2 dies after initializing windows

mickey@altos86.Altos.COM (Michael Thompson) (03/09/90)

Is anybody else having problems with the latest version of Xfig2?
When I start it, all (or most) of the windows are created but then
it exits with the following messages:

Initializing FIG v2.0 Protocol v1.4X (X11 patchlevel 3) ...
X Error of failed request:  BadGC (invalid GC parameter)
  Major opcode of failed request:  60 (X_FreeGC)
  Minor opcode of failed request:  0
  Resource id in failed request:  0x60024c
  Serial number of failed request:  733

Sometimes it exits under the same circumstances with other strange
error messages including (but not limited to):

X Error of failed request:  BadDrawable (invalid Pixmap or Window parameter)
  Major opcode of failed request:  66 (X_PolySegment)
  Minor opcode of failed request:  0
  Resource id in failed request:  0x700229
  Serial number of failed request:  733

I am running an R3 based X-terminal (grey-scale HDS). Xfig2 is linked
with R4 (patchlevel 2) libraries. Any ideas?

			thanks,

				-Michael
				mickey@altos.Altos.COM

envbvs@epb2.lbl.gov (Brian V. Smith) (03/10/90)

In article <3@altos86.Altos.COM>, mickey@altos86.Altos.COM (Michael
Thompson) writes:
> Is anybody else having problems with the latest version of Xfig2?
> When I start it, all (or most) of the windows are created but then
> it exits with the following messages:
>
> Initializing FIG v2.0 Protocol v1.4X (X11 patchlevel 3) ...
> X Error of failed request:  BadGC (invalid GC parameter)

> Sometimes it exits under the same circumstances with other strange
> error messages including (but not limited to):
>
> X Error of failed request:  BadDrawable (invalid Pixmap or Window parameter)
>   Major opcode of failed request:  66 (X_PolySegment)

> I am running an R3 based X-terminal (grey-scale HDS). Xfig2 is linked
> with R4 (patchlevel 2) libraries. Any ideas?

Please install patch 3 (available from comp.sources.x or ftp from
expo.lcs.mit.edu).  This fixes the problem with interrupting Xlib
calls with the timer signal and clobbering the current Xlib call with
another call.
This error only occurs when drawing text (the blinking cursor is the culprit)
on the canvas.
If this is not where the problem is occuring, please send me more information
about whether this happens before you press any buttons from the panel
or just spontaneously.
Brian V. Smith    (bvsmith@lbl.gov)
Lawrence Berkeley Laboratory
I don't speak for LBL, these non-opinions are all mine.