[comp.windows.x] Converting SunView bitmaps to X bitmaps

jae@cs.iastate.edu (Andy Edwards) (03/08/90)

I have some SunView bitmaps that I would like to use under X
windows.  Does anyone know of any conversion programs that would
take care of this for me?

Also, are there any good sources of neat background bitmaps.  I
think astrological-type backgrounds would be nice.
Andy Edwards			L.F.F. ("Let the F----- Fly")
jae@atanasoff.cs.iastate.edu
Iowa State University

jae@cs.iastate.edu (Andy Edwards) writes:

>I have some SunView bitmaps that I would like to use under X
>windows.  Does anyone know of any conversion programs that would
>take care of this for me?

I have found the answer.  It is in the contrib client "pbm" and
is called "rasttopbm" -- that is the first half.  This produces a
pbm-format (?) bitmap which can then be converted to an X bitmap
via "pbmtoxbm".  That's all there is to it.

>Also, are there any good sources of neat background bitmaps.  I
>think astrological-type backgrounds would be nice.

I meant "astronomical" here.  I would still like to see some of
that stuff.

By the way, does anyone know how to make colored bitmaps?
Andy Edwards			L.F.F. ("Let the F----- Fly")
jae@atanasoff.cs.iastate.edu
Iowa State University

TYK@NUSEEV.BITNET (03/10/90)

pbmplus can do this and many other conversions.
/pub/X11/R3-contrib/pbmplus.tar.Z is available through anonymous ftp
from gatekeeper.dec.com