[comp.windows.x] Correct way to start X terminals with XDMCP

kucharsk@number6.Solbourne.COM (William Kucharski) (03/09/90)

I've a question about starting X terminals via XDMCP.  Basically, if I start
the X terminal (NCDs) then xdm, not much seems to happen, while starting the
NCDs after xdm is running (or power cycling the NCDs) brings the xdm prompt
up.  Normally, I would believe the correct thing to do is add the X terminals
to xdm's Xservers file, but the R4 docs specifically state that the only
terminals that should be listed there are those that do NOT use XDMCP:

"...Each entry indicates a displays [sic] which should be constantly managed
 and which is not using XDMCP."

Thanks in advance...
| ARPA:	kucharsk@Solbourne.com	              |	William Kucharski             |
| uucp:	...!{boulder,sun,uunet}!stan!kucharsk |	Solbourne Computer, Inc.      |

In article <1990Mar8.213333.5882@Solbourne.COM> kucharsk@Solbourne.com (William Kucharski) writes:
 >I've a question about starting X terminals via XDMCP...

Well, I've just found out that my problems were due to the fact that when xdm
dies an unexpected death (e.g. kill -9) it leaves its pid file locked, and
thus new attempts to run xdm silently fail.  My apologies to NCD...

keith@EXPO.LCS.MIT.EDU (Keith Packard) (03/10/90)

>  Basically, if I start
> the X terminal (NCDs) then xdm, not much seems to happen, while starting the
> NCDs after xdm is running (or power cycling the NCDs) brings the xdm prompt
> up.

Actually, I suspect if you wait long enough after starting xdm, the terminal
will notice the server is up and start the session.  XDMCP describes the
desired behaviour -- the terminal is expected to resume sending Query packets
when you press a key or move the mouse.  This should get things going.  If not,
the XDMCP implementation in the terminal is not following the rules.

Alternately, you can use the Restart XDMCP button in one of the configuration
windows.

Keith Packard
MIT X Consortium