[net.news] unmoderated newsgroups

lauren@vortex.UUCP (Lauren Weinstein) (10/29/84)

For those of you who still don't believe that money is being wasted
by many non-moderated newsgroups... how many more times do you need
to see the answer to "what were the real names of Batman and Robin?"
in net.misc?

How many more will we see?

--Lauren--

lab@qubix.UUCP (Q-Bick) (10/31/84)

> For those of you who still don't believe that money is being wasted
> by many non-moderated newsgroups... how many more times do you need
> to see the answer to "what were the real names of Batman and Robin?"
> in net.misc?
>
> How many more will we see?
>
> --Lauren--

The solution is not moderation but TO GET THOSE IDIOTS TO RE-READ THE
NETIQUETTE DOCUMENTS and LEARN TO USE 'r' RATHER THAN 'f' !!!!!

Moderation does not cure the problem; it merely alleviates a symptom.
--
		The Ice Floe of Larry Bickford
		{amd,decwrl,sun,idi,ittvax}!qubix!lab

You can't settle the issue until you've settled how to settle the issue.

gam@amdahl.UUCP (Gordon A. Moffett) (11/03/84)

> For those of you who still don't believe that money is being wasted
> by many non-moderated newsgroups... how many more times do you need
> to see the answer to "what were the real names of Batman and Robin?"
> in net.misc?

I'd hate to have to expose the hypocrisy of those who complain about
the waste in unmoderated newsgroups who also appear in the ``Top 25''
news submitters with an accumulated individual total of over 30K bytes
in two weeks.

[oooops]
--
(It's only a model)

Gordon A. Moffett		...!{ihnp4,hplabs,amd,nsc}!amdahl!gam

[ This is just me talking. ]

chuqui@nsc.UUCP (Zonker T. Chuqui) (11/04/84)

In article <461@amdahl.UUCP> gam@amdahl.UUCP (Gordon A. Moffett) writes:
>I'd hate to have to expose the hypocrisy of those who complain about
>the waste in unmoderated newsgroups who also appear in the ``Top 25''
>news submitters with an accumulated individual total of over 30K bytes
>in two weeks.

I'm glad you didn't expose that hypocrisy, Gordon, because you would also
have to discuss whether or not the top 25 posters has some positive value
to the net, or whether they are simply posting useless complaints with no
valid basis. I'm glad neither of us feel this is neccessary.

chuq
--
From the Department of Bistromatics:                   Chuq Von Rospach
{cbosgd,decwrl,fortune,hplabs,ihnp4,seismo}!nsc!chuqui  nsc!chuqui@decwrl.ARPA

  I'd know those eyes from a million years away....

lauren@vortex.UUCP (Lauren Weinstein) (11/05/84)

Good old gam seems to be shooting off at the mouth again, in the manner
I'm beginning to accept as normal for him.  First of all gammy old boy,
the appearance of people in the top 25 means nothing if the postings
are meaningful.  There are lots of technical newsgroups that are useful
to the net, and you'll never find multiple postings from me in net.games or
net.singles, for example.  I tend to stick to the technical groups, with
an occasional net.misc or net.flame thrown in.  The stats can, by the
way, be broken massively by the ARPA gateways, where digests are sometimes
broken up into separate messages, and volume figures can be distorted
by the inclusion of one newswire story in a message.

But as long as we're on the subject, even with the ARPA distortions to
the Usenet stats, I only occasionally show up in the top 25, so I
really don't know what you're bitching about.  Try act like an adult.

--Lauren--