[comp.windows.x] xterm, xload, and X libraries in non-standard locations

cwarsaw@NSWC-WO.ARPA (Warsaw) (03/07/90)

I have not installed the X libraries in /usr/lib or any of the other
standard locations on our Sun network.  All of the X stuff will reside
on a public partition that can be nfs mounted from any other sun.

According to the ERRATA, xterm and xload must be linked statically.
Is there a flag I can set in their Imakefile's so that this is automatic?

Craig Warsaw
cwarsaw@nswc-wo.arpa

tale@cs.rpi.edu (David C Lawrence) (03/07/90)

In <9003061606.AA17990@nswc-wo.arpa> cwarsaw@NSWC-WO.ARPA (Warsaw):

> According to the ERRATA, xterm and xload must be linked statically.

Only if you make them setuid to root.  You don't have to do that at
all with xload to get full functionality and you (well, I) can live
without it with xterm.  Nevertheless ...

> Is there a flag I can set in their Imakefile's so that this is automatic?

In xterm's Imakefile I think you can put in a line

LDOPTIONS = -Bstatic $(CDEBUGFLAGS) $(CCOPTIONS)

and it should link statically.  This will happen for "resize" too.

For xload, chgrp it to the group that owns /dev/kmem (standard is "kmem",
gid 2, on SunOS 4 systems) and make the executable setgid.  Make sure
that /dev/kmem is readable by the group.

Dave

rminnich@super.ORG (Ronald G Minnich) (03/09/90)

In article <ZS-##4=@rpi.edu> tale@cs.rpi.edu (David C Lawrence) writes:
>In <9003061606.AA17990@nswc-wo.arpa> cwarsaw@NSWC-WO.ARPA (Warsaw):
>> According to the ERRATA, xterm and xload must be linked statically.
>Only if you make them setuid to root.  You don't have to do that at
>all with xload to get full functionality and you (well, I) can live
no, if you make them sgid kmem it fails too.
How do you get full functionality out of xload if you
can't read kmem? Or do you make kmem world-readable?
I don't get it.
ron
"If the future of CD-ROM is pinned to the  | rminnich@super.org
imaginations of IBM, Microsoft, and Intel, | uunet!super!rminnich
we're in real trouble".  - author unknown  |

stripes@eng.umd.edu (Joshua Osborne) (03/14/90)

In article <22078@metropolis.super.ORG> rminnich@metropolis.UUCP (Ronald G Minnich) writes:
>In article <ZS-##4=@rpi.edu> tale@cs.rpi.edu (David C Lawrence) writes:
>no, if you make them sgid kmem it fails too.
>How do you get full functionality out of xload if you
>can't read kmem? Or do you make kmem world-readable?
>I don't get it.
If you staticly link xload then it doesn't need any shared libs, so it doesn't
matter that it only searches the standard path, because all it needs is libc.so!
--
           stripes@eng.umd.edu          "Security for Unix is like
      Josh_Osborne@Real_World,The          Mutitasking for MS-DOS"