[comp.windows.x] Changing Title in hpterm

stj@sword.bellcore.com (Steven Jaffe) (03/10/90)

Is it possible to change the title of an hpterm running under motif?

Specifically, I would like my current directory to be the title of the
hpterm.... I can do this with an xterm.

Thanks in advance

Steve Jaffe
Bell Communications Research
stj@sabre.bellcore.com

stroyan@hpfcso.HP.COM (Mike Stroyan) (03/12/90)

> Is it possible to change the title of an hpterm running under motif?

> Steve Jaffe

Yes, it is possible.  The title can be changed with the following sequence.

I use this ksh function-

function hpterm_title {
	echo "\033&f0k${#1}D$1\c"
}

Mike Stroyan, stroyan@hpfcla.hp.com

scott@grlab.UUCP (Scott Blachowicz) (03/14/90)

Regarding Re: Changing Title in hpterm; stroyan@hpfcso.HP.COM (Mike Stroyan) writes:

>> Is it possible to change the title of an hpterm running under motif?
>> Steve Jaffe

> Yes, it is possible.  The title can be changed with the following sequence.

> I use this ksh function-

> function hpterm_title {
> 	echo "\033&f0k${#1}D$1\c"
> }
This apparently changes the WM_NAME property. I've also discovered
that "key -1" changes the WM_ICON_NAME property...so the command
   echo "\033&f-1k5Dfooey\c"
sets your hpterm's WM_ICON_NAME to "fooey". It seems some window
managers (gwm 1.5d, at least) use WM_ICON_NAME for the name displayed
in the window's icon where it used to use WM_NAME, so my ksh
'settitle' function also sets WM_ICON_NAME.

Are there any other special little escape sequences that might be
useful? I've been told in the past to go look at the "Term0 reference
manual" but the stories I got about it's status didn't make sense. I
heard things from "it doesn't exist anymore" to "the latest edition
was 1986"[which is the one we have...maybe 1985?].

--
Scott Blachowicz                E-mail:  scott@grlab.UUCP
USPS:  Graphicus                 ..or..  ...!hpubvwa!grlab!scott