[comp.windows.x] XV11R4 Apollo Server, on the DN10000

andrewn@syma.sussex.ac.uk (Andrew D Nimmo) (03/15/90)

	Having eventually managed to compile XV11R4 for an
Apollo DN10000VS system, DOMAIN/OS SR10.1.p, cc v6.5.p,
patches 1 - 5 applied, with bug in apollo-specific patch
corrected (see previous posting, and response from Bob Scheifler),
and the vanilla MIT release, Xapollo will only work with a screen
depth of 1 or 2,

	xinit -- -D1 d1

and the `mfb' does not work correctly (but I didn't expect it to).

I haven't looked at the server software yet.

	I know one other person who has had this problem - are
there any others?  Any help would be appreciated.

	Thanks,

	Andrew D. Nimmo (sys admin)

--
Andrew D. Nimmo, VLSI & Graphics Research Group, | JANET: andrewn@uk.ac.sussex.syma
EAPS II, University of Sussex, Falmer,		 | INTERNET: andrewn%uk.ac.sussex.syma@nsfnet-relay.ac.uk

dpg@citi.umich.edu (David Gorgen) (03/15/90)

In article <2354@syma.sussex.ac.uk> andrewn@syma.UUCP (Andrew D Nimmo) writes:
> 	Having eventually managed to compile XV11R4 for an
> Apollo DN10000VS system, DOMAIN/OS SR10.1.p, cc v6.5.p,
> patches 1 - 5 applied, with bug in apollo-specific patch
> corrected (see previous posting, and response from Bob Scheifler),
> and the vanilla MIT release, Xapollo will only work with a screen
> depth of 1 or 2,
>
> 	xinit -- -D1 d1
>
> and the `mfb' does not work correctly (but I didn't expect it to).
>
> I haven't looked at the server software yet.
>
> 	I know one other person who has had this problem - are
> there any others?  Any help would be appreciated.
>
> 	Thanks,
>
> 	Andrew D. Nimmo (sys admin)

Since you mention others who might be having this problem, I am
posting rather than E-mailing.

We did not test X.V11R4 on SR10.1.p on a DN10000VS; however we did so
on SR10.2.p and we believe that works fine.  So perhaps there are GPR
bugs in SR10.1.p for the VS which you are encountering (that's just
speculation).

Could you E-mail me details of what goes wrong?  (E.g. server command
line you are using, descriptions of problems, any server crash tracebacks,
or anything else you think might help us diagnose the problem.)  Also,
if you can try the server on SR10.2.p, telling us whether your trouble
goes away with the newer release will be useful too.

By the way, the mfb support ought to work correctly on any Apollo display.
Also, your reference to depth 2 is confusing -- the GPR DDX in the MIT
distribution only supports depths 1, 4 or 8.  Any other depth will be
reduced to the next smallest supported depth, so you would really only
get depth 1 if you asked for depth 2.  Is this what is happening?

If we can come up with a straightforward workaround to make the server
work on SR10.1.p for the VS, we'll be happy to send it to MIT; but there
might not be one, in which case all we could do is recommend moving to
SR10.2.p.
--
Dave Gorgen / GTD-East (formerly Apollo Computer), Hewlett-Packard Company
located at:  University of Michigan, CITI          dpg@citi.umich.edu