[comp.windows.x] Motif / Open Look Xt Questions

vonn@entropy.ms.washington.edu (Vonn Marsch) (03/14/90)

I am trying to determine whether or not I need the to pay for the source
code for Motif.  Presumably, where getting Motif on an HP Workstation with
our next update.  But will this include the libraries and include files
to allow us to develop applications on that machine?  Also, will we receive
the proper documentation, such as a "Style Guide", for development?
Is there an independent source for such documentation?
Is there a e-mail address or telephone number where I can contact someone
directly to get answers to these sort of questions?
Who do I contact to acquire the source code (if necessary)?

As for the Xt based Open Look toolkit from AT&T:
Is this in general release yet?  If so, how can it be acquired?  Has
anyone out there used it enough to form an opinion on its worth?

Answers to any of these questions would be much appreciated.
TIA,
Vonn Marsch
uunet!statsci!vonn

klee@wsl.dec.com (Ken Lee) (03/14/90)

Complete Motif documentation comes on the tape from OSF.  It is also
available in book form from Prentice-Hall.  It's called the OSF/Motif
series, authored by the Open Software Foundation.  My local bookstore
has a shelf full of it.  Your bookstore should be able to order it.

Ken Lee
DEC Western Software Laboratory, Palo Alto, Calif.
Internet: klee@wsl.dec.com
uucp: uunet!decwrl!klee

bobtl@toolbox.WV.TEK.COM (03/14/90)

In article <2596@uw-entropy.ms.washington.edu> vonn@entropy.ms.washington.edu (Vonn Marsch) writes:

>I am trying to determine whether or not I need the to pay for the source
>code for Motif.
IMHO, if you are going to do any serious development using Motif,
you need the full source.  There is a reduced license fee for only
library and header files, but I found this inadequate.
After three weeks into my project I found I needed source to understand
what was happening.

You don't need source sitting on everyone's workstation,
you just need access to the source.

bcripe@hpcvlx.cv.hp.com (Brian E. Cripe) (03/15/90)

> Presumably, where getting Motif on an HP Workstation with
> our next update.

If HP-UX 7.0 is your next update, this is true.

> But will this include the libraries and include files
> to allow us to develop applications on that machine?

Yes, it will include <Xm/*.h> and libXm.a.

> Also, will we receive
> the proper documentation, such as a "Style Guide", for development?

It includes "HP OSF/Motif Programmer's Guide" (a tutorial approach
to writing Motif applications) and "HP OSF/Motif Programmer's
Reference" (man pages out the wazoo).  I don't know if it includes
the Style Guide, but I think so.

	Brian Cripe
	bcripe@cv.hp.com

jww@hpfcbig.SDE.HP.COM (Jim Wichelman) (03/16/90)

> I am trying to determine whether or not I need the to pay for the source
> code for Motif.  Presumably, where getting Motif on an HP Workstation with
> our next update.  But will this include the libraries and include files
> to allow us to develop applications on that machine?

Yes.  All this is standard on HP-UX 7.0

> Also, will we receive the proper documentation, such as a "Style Guide",
> for development?  Is there an independent source for such documentation?
> Is there a e-mail address or telephone number where I can contact someone
> directly to get answers to these sort of questions?

The documentation exists (see part numbers below), but I don't know what is
sent out to customers.  I believe it depends on what sort of upgrade
service contract you have on your HP stuff (but I'm just guessing).  Just
call your HP sales office or support person for the details.

> Who do I contact to acquire the source code (if necessary)?

OSF.

-- ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
98794-64002*         Bndr Kit-Programming With Xlib (S300 only)
   98794-90002*E0989 Mnl-Programming With the Xlib (S300/800)
      98794-90605*   Mfg# (includes grey spine)
   9282-1083         Bndr-9"x9" grey

98794-90003*   E0989 Mnl-X Window System C Quick Reference Guide (S300/800)
      98794-90603*   Mfg#

98794-64005*         Bndr kit-HP OSF/Motif Programmer's Guide (S300 only)
   98794-90005*E0989 Mnl-HP OSF//Motif Programmer's Guide (Series 300/800)
      98794-90606*   Mfg#
   9282-1081         Bndr-9"x9"-grey

98794-64006*         Bndr kit-HP OSF//Motif Programmer's Reference (S300 only)
   98794-90006*E0989 Mnl-HP OSF//Motif Programmer's Reference(S300/800)
      98794-90607*   Mfg#
   9282-1082         Bndr-9"x9"-grey

98794-64007*         Bndr kit-HP OSF//Motif Style Guide (S300 only)
   98794-90007*E0989 Mnl-HP OSF//Motif Style Guide (S300/800)
      98794-90608*   Mfg#
   9282-1081         Bndr-9"x9"-grey

98794-64008*         Bndr kit-Programming With the Xt Intrinsics (S300 only)
   98794-90008*E0989 Mnl-Programming With the Xt Intrinsics(S300/800)
      98794-90609*   Mfg#
   9282-1082         Bndr-9"x9"-grey

Jim Wichelman
Hewlett-Packard