[comp.windows.x] XFig crashes

beck@hermod.cs.cornell.edu (Micah Beck) (03/15/90)

At our installation, we have found that every version of XFig from the
earliest to the lastest (2.0) has an unfortunate tendency to crash regularly.
Since XFig is a popular program, I can't believe that every one is suffering
like this.  On the other hand, I have no idea why our installation would
be special (Sun workstations running R3, now upgrading to R4).  No change
in our enviornment has had any effect on the problem.  What are other
peoples' experience with XFig?  It might be best to send mail to me unless
you have some insight into the problem to share with the whole world.

Micah Beck
beck@cs.cornell.edu
Cornell CS Dept.

envbvs@epb2.lbl.gov (Brian V. Smith) (03/16/90)

In article <38688@cornell.UUCP>, beck@hermod.cs.cornell.edu (Micah Beck)
writes:
> At our installation, we have found that every version of XFig from the
> earliest to the lastest (2.0) has an unfortunate tendency to crash regularly.
> Since XFig is a popular program, I can't believe that every one is suffering
> like this.  On the other hand, I have no idea why our installation would
> be special (Sun workstations running R3, now upgrading to R4).  No change
> in our enviornment has had any effect on the problem.  What are other
> peoples' experience with XFig?  It might be best to send mail to me unless
> you have some insight into the problem to share with the whole world.

Micah, I am posting this because several people have complained xfig
crashing also.

There was a known bug in drawing text that has been fixed in patchlevel 3.
Patch level 4 has some more bug fixes and all patch levels are available
from expo.lcs.mit.edu (18.30.0.212) via anonymous ftp.

If it is crashing elsewhere, please e-mail me some more info and I'll
see what I can do.
Brian V. Smith    (bvsmith@lbl.gov)
Lawrence Berkeley Laboratory
I don't speak for LBL, these non-opinions are all mine.