[comp.windows.x] Installing X11 release 4 on Sun 4

lockheed@Hudson.Stanford.EDU (Lockheed) (03/15/90)

I'm trying to install X11 release 4 on a Sun 4/260 running Sun OS 4.0.3
and am having a bit of trouble.  Any help would be appreciated...

We already have X11 release 3 installed and I'm trying to install release 4
in its own subdirectories, i.e., not in /usr/local/bin.  I have compiled
and installed all of release 4 except two clients, xdm and xdpyinfo, which
would not install because of symbol reference errors - but I don't think
I need these two anyway.

So I put the new path in my PATH.  I try to run xinit and get

     ld.so: call to undefined procedure  _GetHostname from <mumble>.

So then I added the new library path to LD_LIBRARY_PATH and now I get

     ld.so:  libX11.so.0 not found.

The problem seems to be with the server since I was partially able to run
the new X client with the old X server.  Any ideas?

 - Jon Schlossberg
   lockheed@hudson.stanford.edu

ehrlich@cs.psu.edu (Daniel Ehrlich) (03/17/90)

In article <1990Mar14.210422.8249@Neon.Stanford.EDU> lockheed@Hudson.Stanford.EDU (Lockheed) writes:

Jon> I'm trying to install X11 release 4 on a Sun 4/260 running Sun OS 4.0.3
Jon> and am having a bit of trouble.  Any help would be appreciated...

Jon> We already have X11 release 3 installed and I'm trying to install release 4
Jon> in its own subdirectories, i.e., not in /usr/local/bin.  I have compiled
Jon> and installed all of release 4 except two clients, xdm and xdpyinfo, which
Jon> would not install because of symbol reference errors - but I don't think
Jon> I need these two anyway.

We installed R$ in /usr/{bin,include,lib}/X11R4 using the following site.def
file:

/**/# site:  $XConsortium: site.def,v 1.21 89/12/06 11:46:50 jim Exp $

/*****************************************************************************
 *                                                                           *
 *			   SITE-SPECIFIC DEFINITIONS                         *
 *                                                                           *
 * Override any of the defaults in *.tmpl here.  Use ifndef so that servers  *
 * can override you if necessary:                                            *
 *                                                                           *
 *     #ifndef ABuildParameter                                               *
 *     #define ABuildParameter myvalue                                       *
 *     #endif                                                                *
 *                                                                           *
 * Make sure you check the following parameters:                             *
 *                                                                           *
 *     1.  HasLargeTmp                                                       *
 *     2.  InstallOldHeaderFiles                                             *
 *     3.  ContribDir                                                        *
 *     4.  HasXwWidgets                                                      *
 *     5.  HasXcuWidgets                                                     *
 *                                                                           *
 * Note on using DESTDIR:  If you want to install into a scratch directory   *
 * but will eventually move the tree back to the root, compile with DESTDIR  *
 * blank and install with "make install DESTDIR=directory".                  *
 *                                                                           *
 * We strongly recommend that you don't change the installation directories  *
 * and just use symbolic links if you want things to be installed on a       *
 * different partition.  For example,                                        *
 *                                                                           *
 *     # cd directory_containing_X_distribution                              *
 *     # make World                                                          *
 *     # mkdir /otherdisk/X                                                  *
 *     # foreach i (bin lib include)                                         *
 *     >     mkdir /otherdisk/X/$i                                           *
 *     >     ln -s /otherdisk/X/$i /usr/$i/X11                               *
 *     > end                                                                 *
 *     # make install                                                        *
 *                                                                           *
 *****************************************************************************/

/*
 * SET THESE PARAMETERS FIRST !!!
 */

/*
 * 1.  HasLargeTmp - if your /tmp space is less than a 1meg, you should
 * probably set this to NO
 */
#ifndef HasLargeTmp
#define HasLargeTmp YES
#endif

/*
 * 2.  InstallOldHeaderFiles - set the following to YES until you have
 * converted your Xaw programs to use the new naming scheme.
 */
#ifndef InstallOldHeaderFiles
#define InstallOldHeaderFiles YES	/* set to YES for compat with R3 Xaw */
#endif

/*
 * 3.  ContribDir - set ContribDir to wherever you've placed your sources; the
 * R4 tape comes with the core tree in ./mit and the contrib tree in ./contrib,
 * so to get to contrib, go up from TOP:
 */
#ifndef ContribDir
#define ContribDir $(TOP)/../contrib
#endif

/*
 * 4.  HasXwWidgets - if you want to have make variables for the Xw widgets
 * used in Doug Young's book, set this to YES.
 */
#ifndef HasXwWidgets		/* whether or not to include make vars */
#define HasXwWidgets NO
#endif

/*
 * 5.  HasXcuWidgets - if you want to have make variables for the Xcu widgets,
 * set this to YES.
 */
#ifndef HasXcuWidgets		/* whether or not to include make vars */
#define HasXcuWidgets NO
#endif

/*****************************************************************************
 *                                                                           *
 *			       Build Parameters                              *
 *                                                                           *
 *****************************************************************************/

/*
 * If you want to use GCC, set HasGcc in the appropriate .cf files.  This
 * results in substantial improvements for the server.
 */
#ifndef HasGcc
#define HasGcc NO
#endif

#if HasGcc
#ifndef CcCmd
#ifdef UseInstalled		/* if outside the tree */
#define CcCmd gcc -DNOSTDHDRS -fstrength-reduce -fpcc-struct-return -fwritable-strings -traditional
#else				/* server won't compile with -traditional */
#define CcCmd gcc -DNOSTDHDRS -fstrength-reduce -fpcc-struct-return
#endif
#endif
#endif

#ifndef ExtensionDefines
#if SystemV
#define ExtensionDefines -DSHAPE -DMULTIBUFFER -DMITSHM -DMITMISC
#else
#define ExtensionDefines -DSHAPE -DMULTIBUFFER -DMITMISC
#endif
#endif

#ifdef ATHENA
#ifndef DoInstallExtensionsIntoXlib
#define DoInstallExtensionsIntoXlib YES		/* for Makefile hosers */
#endif
#endif

/*
 * Make sure that the library has compatibility stuff built into it, for wno
 */
#ifndef BuildXawBC
#define BuildXawBC YES			/* headers can be installed later */
#endif
#ifndef CompatibilityFlags
#if InstallOldHeaderFiles
#define CompatibilityFlags -DXAW_BC
#else
#define CompatibilityFlags /**/
#endif
#endif

#ifndef SharedLibXext
#define SharedLibXext NO	/* XXX - haven't made it sharable yet */
#endif
/*
 *	Local directories and paths
 */
#ifdef	BinDir
#undef	BinDir
#endif	/* BinDir */
#define	BinDir $(DESTDIR)/usr/bin/X11R4

#ifdef	LibDir
#undef	LibDir
#endif	/* LibDir */
#define	LibDir $(DESTDIR)/usr/lib/X11R4

#ifdef	UsrLibDir
#undef	UsrLibDir
#endif	/* UsrLibDir */
#define	UsrLibDir $(DESTDIR)/usr/lib/X11R4

#ifdef	IncRoot
#undef	IncRoot
#endif	/* IncRoot */
#define	IncRoot $(DESTDIR)/usr/include/X11R4

#ifdef ManDirectoryRoot
#undef ManDirectoryRoot
#endif /* ManDirectoryRoot */
#define ManDirectoryRoot /usr/new/man/X11R4

#ifdef ManSuffix
#undef ManSuffix
#endif /* ManSuffix */
#define ManSuffix 1

#ifdef LibManSuffix
#undef LibManSuffix
#endif /* LibManSuffix */
#define LibManSuffix 3

#ifdef	DefaultUserPath
#undef	DefaultUserPath
#endif	/* DefaultUserPath */
#define DefaultUserPath :/usr/local/bin:/usr/new/bin:/usr/bin:/bin:$(BINDIR):/usr/ucb

#ifdef	DefaultSystemPath
#undef	DefaultSystemPath
#endif	/* DefaultSystemPath */
#define DefaultSystemPath :/usr/local/etc:/usr/etc:/etc:/usr/local/bin:/usr/new/bin:/usr/bin:/bin:$(BINDIR):/usr/ucb

#ifdef	XFileSearchPathDefault
#undef	XFileSearchPathDefault
#endif	/* XFileSearchPathDefault */
#define	XFileSearchPathDefault "/usr/lib/X11R4/%L/%T/%N%S:/usr/lib/X11R4/%l/%T/%N%S:/usr/lib/X11R4/%T/%N%S"

#ifdef	ErrorDB
#undef	ErrorDB
#endif	/* ErrorDB */
#define	ErrorDB "/usr/lib/X11R4/XtErrorDB"

#define ExtraLoadFlags -L/usr/lib/X11R4 /* really UsrLibDir */
#define StandardIncludes -I/usr/include/X11R4

Jon> So I put the new path in my PATH.  I try to run xinit and get

Jon>      ld.so: call to undefined procedure  _GetHostname from <mumble>.

Jon> So then I added the new library path to LD_LIBRARY_PATH and now I get

Jon>      ld.so:  libX11.so.0 not found.

You need to make links from where ever you install the libraries into
/usr/lib or ldconfig and the dynamic loader will not find them.

--
Dan Ehrlich <ehrlich@cs.psu.edu>/Voice: +1 814 863 1142/FAX: +1 814 865 3176