[comp.windows.x] fonts and X terminals

hvr@kimba.Sun.COM (Heather Rose) (03/17/90)

In article <104@alruna.UUCP> mats@alruna.UUCP (Mats Wichmann) writes:

>>I suppose the whole fonts issue will become simplified when the font server
>>concept is finalized, implemented, and adopted...
>
>Specific example here:
>
>    an Acer X Terminal uses a font file in a different format than most
>    UNIX boxes, even if the file itself is on a UNIX box (it's essentially
>    a DOS file since the terminal is a PC), so installing in the "standard"
>    place doesn't solve the problem; you need to compile another copy and
>    put it someplace else for the X Terminals.
>
>X Terminals may not have a good way to get access to fonts which are loaded
>on some other machine, if "X Terminal" means "X Server Device without disk
>which is not necessarily running UNIX and/or NFS".  Most X Server people
>have had to invent some way to do this, be it TFTP, NFS, or some
>proprietary protocol between the terminal and a server program somewhere.
>There is another class of device to consider as well - the PC being used as
>an X Terminal  - different because there is local disk, so they don't need
>to access fonts remotely (hah!).  In this case, the font source must be
>downloaded and compiled with a local bdftosnf utility.  Despite the
>presence of a "builtin" xset, I haven't always had good luck having the
>server find them.  In fact, when I spent some time on it, I couldn't get
>either the Locus or the GSS server to run olwm, because of not being able
>to find fonts.  I expect the problem could have been solved, but it was
>certainly an irritant.  I had some interesting problems with the Acer X
>Server, I'm not supposed to talk about that, so I'll pass.
>
>The font server _will_ take care of this problem, when it is finalized,
>implemented, and in widespread use (when?).  Which is why all of us X
>Terminal people need it so badly.  Especially because it is hard to
>justify your own solution in the face of the other competing ones.  Any
>of you remember, for example the criticism of NCR's X Terminal because
>you "have to run some sort of funky font server program on your host".

Different companies have different solutions.  Someone from Visual claimed
that their X terminal server can decipher any font format.  I saw a demo
of GraphOn the other day.  Since the server runs native on the host machine,
I would imagine that fonts would not be an issue.  And NCD distributes a
special source for bdftosnf which will create the font in a format that
the terminal will understand.

In general, I sympathize with people who may have to provide multiple
fonts directories for multiple architectures.  Providing a font server
in the meantime has it's drawbacks, but it may be the lesser of multiple
evils.

Heather Rose
Window Systems Group                      internet:  hrose@sun.com
Sun Microsystems, Inc.                        uucp:  ...!sun!hrose