[comp.windows.x] Problem compiling contrib software X11R4

james@apollo.gl.pitt.edu (03/16/90)

	I have been installing the new release of X windows on a network of
Sun machines (Sun 3/60s and 3/80s) served by a 3/280.  I seem to be having
some difficulty with the kterm program in the contrib/client directory.
I get the error :

ld: Undefined symbol
   _XawScrollBarSetThumb

when I compile it.  Any suggestions to fix this.?  I have seen this error on
some of the other contrib software.  Could I have installed the Xaw libraries
incorrectly or something.  Any hints would be helpfull.

	Thanks for you time.

P.S  I posted a message in comp.graphics concerning any shading or rendering
    of 3d polygon files in X windows.  Is there any such code out there,
    public or otherwise.  I had the suggestion about PHIGS in X windows already

	Douglas James
	Advanced Graphics Lab
	University of Pittsburgh

klee@wsl.dec.com (Ken Lee) (03/16/90)

In article <7172@pitt.UUCP>, james@apollo.gl.pitt.edu writes:
> ld: Undefined symbol
>    _XawScrollBarSetThumb

Your client is using an X11R3 interface that was replaced in X11R4.  See
the X11R4 Athena widget documentation for the new interfaces.

> P.S  I posted a message in comp.graphics concerning any shading or rendering
>     of 3d polygon files in X windows.

DEC sells rendering packages like GKS, PHIGS, and Display PostScript
for X on various DEC hardware.  I'm sure other vendors have similar
products for their machines.  I've seen some 3rd party products, but
am not really familiar with these.

Ken Lee
DEC Western Software Laboratory, Palo Alto, Calif.
Internet: klee@wsl.dec.com
uucp: uunet!decwrl!klee

klute@trillian.informatik.uni-dortmund.de (Rainer Klute) (03/16/90)

In article <7172@pitt.UUCP>, james@apollo.gl.pitt.edu writes:
> 	I have been installing the new release of X windows on a network of
> Sun machines (Sun 3/60s and 3/80s) served by a 3/280.  I seem to be having
> some difficulty with the kterm program in the contrib/client directory.
> I get the error :
>
> ld: Undefined symbol
>    _XawScrollBarSetThumb
>
> when I compile it.  Any suggestions to fix this.?

This is due to the fact that the client you want to compile
still relies on the X11R3 libraries and not yet on X11R4.

However, there is an easy way to solve the problem: Use the Xaw
backward compatibility switch. You have to edit the Imakefile
and introduce a line "DEFINES = -DXAW_BC" resp. edit a DEFINES
line which is already there to contain -DXAW_BC.

  Dipl.-Inform. Rainer Klute      klute@heike.informatik.uni-dortmund.de
  Univ. Dortmund, IRB             klute@unido.uucp, klute@unido.bitnet
  Postfach 500500         |)|/    ...uunet!mcvax!unido!klute
D-4600 Dortmund 50        |\|\    Tel.: +49 231 755-4663

jc@uh.msc.umn.edu (Carolyn Wasikowski) (03/20/90)

In article <2057@laura.UUCP> klute@trillian.informatik.uni-dortmund.de
(Rainer Klute) writes:
klute>In article <7172@pitt.UUCP>, james@apollo.gl.pitt.edu writes:
james>> I get the error :
james>>
james>> ld: Undefined symbol
james>>    _XawScrollBarSetThumb

klute>This is due to the fact that the client you want to compile
klute>still relies on the X11R3 libraries and not yet on X11R4.

klute>However, there is an easy way to solve the problem: Use the Xaw
klute>backward compatibility switch. You have to edit the Imakefile
klute>and introduce a line "DEFINES = -DXAW_BC" resp. edit a DEFINES
klute>line which is already there to contain -DXAW_BC.

I recently ran up against the same problem.  A better solution is to
go into your code and change all references to XawScrollBarSetThumb to
XawScrollbarSetThumb.                                  /^\
        /^\

--
jc@uh.msc.umn.edu
<.sig under construction>