[comp.windows.x] What is machine independent in

carey@m.cs.uiuc.edu (03/16/90)

are fonts shareable between different architectures?
Which format(s) of fonts are shareable -- bdf, snf, pk, ... ?

If anybody has a good reference on different font formats, and
issues of sharing fonts, and access from servers, etc.  that would
be really nice to know.

I am a little unclear on the basics of fonts.

-----
John Carey
University of Illinois
Dept. of Computer Science
carey@a.cs.uiuc.edu
{uu-net,pur-ee,convex,...}!uiucdcs!carey

rowe@cme.nist.gov (Walter Rowe) (03/17/90)

I have the compiled X11R4 fonts installed in one location and all the
architectures that I support use those same compiled font files. That
tells me that, yes they are indeed machine independent.

I do the same for the include directory tree, as well.  In fact, the
app-defaults, rgb files, and most of those text files located in the
lib directory (except for config, of course) are machine independent
and I utilize that to the maximum extent possible as disk space is a
premium when it comes to X windows.

---
Walter P. Rowe, <rowe@cme.nist.gov>
System Administrator, Robot Systems Division

kaul@icarus.eng.ohio-state.edu (Rich Kaul) (03/17/90)

In article <ROWE.90Mar16172328@stella.cme.nist.gov> rowe@cme.nist.gov (Walter Rowe) writes:
   I have the compiled X11R4 fonts installed in one location and all the
   architectures that I support use those same compiled font files. That
   tells me that, yes they are indeed machine independent.

That tells me that, yes you have only machines of a single
endian-ness.  Just try to take the fonts from a Sun 3/260 to a
Sun 386i sometime and see what happens...

-rich
-=-
Rich Kaul                         | "Horse sense is what keeps horses from
kaul@icarus.eng.ohio-state.edu    |  betting on what people will do."
or ...!osu-cis!kaul		  |  			-Damon  Runyon

tale@cs.rpi.edu (David C Lawrence) (03/20/90)

In <ROWE.90Mar16172328@stella.cme.nist.gov> rowe@cme.nist.gov (Walter Rowe):

> I have the compiled X11R4 fonts installed in one location and all the
> architectures that I support use those same compiled font files. That
> tells me that, yes they are indeed machine independent.

Checksums between my Sun 3 SunOS 3.5 fonts and Sun 4 SunOS 4.0.3 .snf
fonts showed that they are _mostly_ the same, though these came up
different.  Unfortunately the machine the bdf sources are stored on is
currently unavailable (machine room overhaul.  And I thought I was
hired for a software job -- I want my teamster's card!) so I can't
rerun bdftosnf over the ones that were different right now to see
whether these few differences were only some random munging (the Sun 3
was a little ill for network file service recently).

100dpi/lubBI19.snf 100dpi/tech14.snf 100dpi/term14.snf 100dpi/termB14.snf
75dpi/luBIS24.snf  75dpi/luBS24.snf  75dpi/luIS24.snf  75dpi/luRS24.snf
75dpi/lubB24.snf   75dpi/lutBS18.snf 75dpi/lutRS18.snf
misc/10x20.snf     misc/7x14rk.snf   misc/8x16rk.snf

I just compared the misc/10x20.snf files and they are different by
only one character.  The sparc thinks it is a NUL (which seems to fit
fine in the area that it is located but the Sun 3 thinks it is a NP,
giving me the sinking feeling that these differences are all indeed
attributable to munged files.  Curiously enough, looking at the other
misc files their minor differences are located in a similar place,
within a few characters of the ASCII font registry strings about 80%
into the files.  I wish that other machine were up.

> In fact, [...] rgb files, [...] are machine independent

I'm not so sure about dbm vs ndbm vs mdbm vs anyotherdbm.  The rgb
database files were compatible on the afforementioned Sun systems and
I'll check them against the ones produced when I get around to
building this all for our DECStations.
--
   (setq mail '("tale@cs.rpi.edu" "tale@ai.mit.edu" "tale@rpitsmts.bitnet"))