[comp.windows.x] XView: Is the archive server on-the-air?

tro@adiron.UUCP (Tommy O'Lin) (03/20/90)

I saw a reference to an "xvstuff" archive server, but I did not see any
announcement of the thing.  Is it ready to go?  If so, what are its rules?
What commands does it understand?  Etc.

Perspiring minds want to know...

   / \	Tom Olin
-- PAR -------------------------------
   \ /	PAR Technology Corporation	(315) 738-0600, Ext. 638
	220 Seneca Turnpike
	New Hartford, NY 13413		...!uunet!adiron!tro

hvr@kimba.Sun.COM (Heather Rose) (03/21/90)

In article <9003191621.AA12430@adiron.adiron> tro@adiron.UUCP (Tommy O'Lin) writes:
>I saw a reference to an "xvstuff" archive server, but I did not see any
>announcement of the thing.  Is it ready to go?  If so, what are its rules?
>What commands does it understand?  Etc.
>
>Perspiring minds want to know...

It's on the air.  I haven't announced it yet, well I guess I am now :-)
It'll be moving soon to a different implementation, so I hesitate to
make a big deal.  But if you cannot wait another week, send the message

"help" to "xvstuff@kimba.eng.sun.com" or "...!sun!kimba!xvstuff"

It's basically the same as the xstuff server, but the names of directories
are different.

Here's a copy of the top level index.

Top level index of the XView archive server.  The entries below are
sub-directories.  The contents of these sub-directories can be examined
by sending a message like "send index intro" to the Server.  Each
individual file within one of these sub-directories must be retrieved
with a message like "send trackers Jan22-Jan28.90".

Please note that the actual file names for the archives are
case-sensitive, although the categories are not.  For example, "send
trackers jan22-jan28.90" will fail; however, "send TraCKers
Jan22-Jan28.90" will succeed.

The words enclosed by [] are aliases for the given sub-directory that
the archive server understands.  The names are recognized as <alias>*,
so any characters following the alias will not matter.  For example,
"qa" is equal to "qas" is equal to "qaquack".

Name           	 	Description
-------------   	-----------
Answers			Answers provided to questions asked in public forums
			[qa, question, answer]

Applications		XView applications
			[app, program]

Demos			XView demonstration code.  Small sample programs
			used to demonstrate a particular set of functionality.
			[demo]

Documents		XView related documents
			[doc]

Intro			Introductory material to answer some of the common
			questions people have when starting out with XView.
			[intro]

Source			Includes patches to the XView and olwm source
			donations.
			[src]

Systems			The archive of this system to set up your own
			archive server.
			[sys]

Trackers		Known bugs sent over the xviewbug-trackers alias.
			[bug, tracker, xviewbug]

Heather Rose
Window Systems Group                      internet:  hrose@sun.com
Sun Microsystems, Inc.                        uucp:  ...!sun!hrose