[comp.windows.x] Color in olwm windows?

rminnich@super.ORG (Ronald G Minnich) (03/13/90)

I am running olwm and trying to see if i like it or not.
When i invoke shelltool with the -Wf and -Wb arguments it iconifies with
the color i want. but the open frame color is always the one chosen by olwm.
I have no manuals to RTFM; anybody know why this happens, if it is a given
with olwm or can be worked around? Hunting through code has not been
useful (yet).
tanks,
ron
--
rminnich@super.org

hvr@kimba.Sun.COM (Heather Rose) (03/21/90)

In article <22440@metropolis.super.ORG> rminnich@metropolis.UUCP (Ronald G Minnich) writes:
>I am running olwm and trying to see if i like it or not.
>When i invoke shelltool with the -Wf and -Wb arguments it iconifies with
>the color i want. but the open frame color is always the one chosen by olwm.
>I have no manuals to RTFM; anybody know why this happens, if it is a given
>with olwm or can be worked around? Hunting through code has not been
>useful (yet).

Currently, there is no way for olwm to find out what colors a toolkit
might suggest the frame borders become.

Possible interfaces would be 1) use resources to specify what the colors
would be for each named window or each window class.  or 2) extend the
ICCCM to include window color properties so all window managers and all
toolkits may speak the same conventions.

Currently, neither XView nor Xt+ nor olwm do either of the above, but
we're looking into it.

There's a similar problem for frame border widths as well.  i.e. how does
a toolkit ask the window manager to tell it the size of the border?  or the
position of the border?  The ICCCM does not cover this point either.

Heather Rose
Window Systems Group                      internet:  hrose@sun.com
Sun Microsystems, Inc.                        uucp:  ...!sun!hrose