[comp.windows.x] xterm bug ????????????????

fmbutt@mrbt.sw.stratus.com (Farooq Butt) (03/21/90)

I think I may be running into a silly bug with xterm.  I am using twm
under X11R4.  When I invoke xterm with a " -T 'mytitle_here' ", the
title does not get recorded at the iconmanager.  That is to say, if
I say:

xterm -T 'foobar'

I see 'xterm' as the title in the twm iconmanager.  The window title is
OK (it reads "foobar" as you would expect). Now if I say:

xterm -T 'foobar' -e csh

The title at the iconmanager now changes to correctly read "foobar"
(the window title is also "foobar").

Why do I have to put the "-e csh" at the end of my xterm invocation
to get the iconmanager to recognize my title ????????????

help!
Farooq Butt
fmbutt@stratus.com

uejio@diego.llnl.gov (Jeremy Uejio) (03/21/90)

In article <931@lectroid.sw.stratus.com> fmbutt@mrbt.sw.stratus.com (Farooq Butt) writes:
>I think I may be running into a silly bug with xterm.  I am using twm
>under X11R4.  When I invoke xterm with a " -T 'mytitle_here' ", the
>title does not get recorded at the iconmanager.  That is to say, if
>I say:
>xterm -T 'foobar'
>I see 'xterm' as the title in the twm iconmanager.  The window title is
>OK (it reads "foobar" as you would expect). Now if I say:
>xterm -T 'foobar' -e csh
>The title at the iconmanager now changes to correctly read "foobar"
>(the window title is also "foobar").
>Why do I have to put the "-e csh" at the end of my xterm invocation
>to get the iconmanager to recognize my title ????????????
>help!
>Farooq Butt
>fmbutt@stratus.com

I had this problem, too until I realized that -T or -title sets
the window title and not necessarily the icon name.

What you should do is use the -n option.  Note that this is *not*
the same as the -name option and is really shorthand for the
"*iconName" resource.

So use:

xterm -T 'foobar' -n 'foobar'

				jeremy uejio@lll-crg.llnl.gov