[comp.windows.x] GCC for X11R4 clients

dpm@cs.cmu.edu (David Maynard) (03/21/90)

Has anyone generated a list of R4 client (and demo/example) programs
that need to be compiled with the -fwritable-strings option of GCC.  So
far I've identified xterm and puzzle (which would occasionally dump
core), but the other clients I've tested appear to work fine.  I read in
the (outdated) X11.README that came with GCC that twm might need
writable strings, but it "seems" to work without them.  I'm working with
GCC 1.37.1 on a Sun-2 under SunOS 3.5 with MIT fixes 1-6.

On the same subject...what is the "best" way to specify special compiler
options for a particular client?  My quick and dirty way was to specify
an explicit "CC = gcc..." line in the appropriate Imakefiles.  That
obviously isn't the best way to specify things since it won't
automatically pick up global changes I make to the compiler options.

P.S. I'm impressed!  The R4 "make World" only took ~19 hours on a 4 meg
Sun-2/120.  If I recall correctly, the R3 compile took closer to 25 hours.

 ---
 David P. Maynard (dpm@cs.cmu.edu)
 Dept. of Electrical and Computer Engineering
 Carnegie Mellon University, Pittsburgh, PA  15213
 ---

rmtodd@uokmax.uucp (Richard Michael Todd) (03/21/90)

In article <1990Mar20.191933.1792@cs.cmu.edu> dpm@cs.cmu.edu (David Maynard) writes:
>Has anyone generated a list of R4 client (and demo/example) programs
>that need to be compiled with the -fwritable-strings option of GCC.  So
>far I've identified xterm and puzzle (which would occasionally dump
>core), but the other clients I've tested appear to work fine.  I read in
  I found that xfd also needed it.  This is on a Mac IIx under A/UX 1.1,
GCC 1.37, MIT X11R4 + fixes 1-4.  Haven't seen any problems with twm.
puzzle would *always* dump core without -fwritable-strings, xterm would
always do so when switching to Tek mode.

>P.S. I'm impressed!  The R4 "make World" only took ~19 hours on a 4 meg
>Sun-2/120.  If I recall correctly, the R3 compile took closer to 25 hours.
  It took ~12 hours on my Mac IIx with 4M of memory.  From the system stats
programs I ran it looks like a good deal of the time was spent paging (gcc
is a big memory hog).  Haven't tried a Make World since I upgraded to 8M,
but I suspect it'll go a whole lot faster...
--
Richard Todd   rmtodd@chinet.chi.il.us  or  rmtodd@uokmax.ecn.uoknor.edu

rcb@ccpv1.ncsu.edu (Randy Buckland) (03/21/90)

rmtodd@uokmax.uucp (Richard Michael Todd) writes:

>In article <1990Mar20.191933.1792@cs.cmu.edu> dpm@cs.cmu.edu (David Maynard) writes:
>>P.S. I'm impressed!  The R4 "make World" only took ~19 hours on a 4 meg
>>Sun-2/120.  If I recall correctly, the R3 compile took closer to 25 hours.
>  It took ~12 hours on my Mac IIx with 4M of memory.  From the system stats
>programs I ran it looks like a good deal of the time was spent paging (gcc
>is a big memory hog).  Haven't tried a Make World since I upgraded to 8M,
>but I suspect it'll go a whole lot faster...

It's statistics/benchmark time. What was the compile times for tape1 of
X11R4 on your machine? For a Vaxstation 3100, 16M memory, Ultrix 3.1,
Ultrix cc compiler, time was just over 5 hours.

How about the times on some of the RISC machines? This seems like a good
real world test of performance.

Randy Buckland
rcb@ncsuvx.ncsu.edu