[comp.windows.x] XView question

hvr@eng.sun.COM (Heather Rose) (03/07/90)

> Date: Mon, 5 Mar 90 16:40:56 EST
> From: gf@iris.brown.edu (George Fitzmaurice)
> To: hvr@Eng
> Subject: XView question
> Cc: gf@iris.brown.edu
>
> Heather, I'm not sure if you're the right person to answer some of my
> questions -- if not then please point me in the right direction.

We'd like to use the xpert mailing list or comp.windows.x news group as a
general purpose Q&A point for XView.  If you put "XView" in the subject line,
we'll find it faster.  See the README file in the source distribution for
more information on reporting bugs.

> I have two initial questions.  First, XView looks quite nice.  I'm
> starting to use it on a SPARCstation with the X11R4 distribution. I
> want to create a PANEL_BUTTON which is not the default size. That is,
> a button which I can independently define the extent rectange -- not
> use the default size (which depends on the length of PANEL_LABEL_STRING.)

PANEL_LABEL_IMAGE may be what you want.  The online O'Reilly examples show
how to use this.  See <XVIEW>/clients/examples/panels/stop_frame.c

> I couldn't find any attribute-value pairs that would allow me to set
> the button's extent rect. Am I overlooking something?  I realize that
> this request may not agree with the Open Look specification.

You can do this by creating the image of the size you want (and either put
your string in it or whatever you want), then the button package will put
a border around the image, take care of inversion, event processing, etc.

> This leads me to my second question. How easy is it do define a new
> XView class, say PANEL_SIZED_BUTTON?  Are there any constructs for
> doing this as an XView programmer or does one have to use the source
> code and hand define the new class -- instead of subclassing from
> PANEL_BUTTON and overriding one or two procedures.

There's an example on how to do this on expo: pub/XView/tutorial.extensions.ps.
This may be a bit overwhelming.  Also, if you look at the implementation of a
panel, it is a subclass of canvas in 1.0.1.  What most of the XView toolkit
developers do is start with some existing code from the library and change
it to meet the requirements of the new package.

We do not have any *documentation* on adding XView classes as of yet.  We'll
provide more information on this in a later release.

Regards,

Heather

zinnato@NADC.ARPA (R. Zinnato) (03/21/90)

I'm asking this again because of the gateway problem...

Does anybody know if XView has been ported to the Silicon Graphics workstation?

Heather Rose from Sun responded that she didn't think so, and even though I
respect her opinion, I'd like to hear from anyone who has either seen it,
tried it, or has contemplated porting it, or has any hints for me.

thanks,

ron zinnato
zinnato@nadc.arpa