[comp.windows.x] xterm with Sun Open Windows 1.0

felleman@cg-atla.agfa.com (John Felleman) (03/20/90)

We have just begun using some of the X11 features of our X11/NeWS
server (OPEN WINDOWS 1.0), and are having some birthing pains.
When we try to run xterm from a System V client, the server returns
the following error:

X Protocol error detected by server: integer parameter out of range
  Failed request major op code 2 X_ChangeWindowAttributes
  Failed request minor op code 0 (if applicable)
  ResourceID 0x40001a in failed request (if applicable)
  Serial number of failed request 72
  Current serial number in output stream 77

Can anyone explain what is going on?  What, if anything, can we
do to fix the problem?

Thanks for your help,
--
John Felleman 			      (508)-658-{0200,5600} X7034
AGFA Compugraphic	    ...!{decvax,samsung}!cg-atla!felleman

smarks@eng.sun.COM (Stuart W. Marks) (03/21/90)

| We have just begun using some of the X11 features of our X11/NeWS
| server (OPEN WINDOWS 1.0), and are having some birthing pains.
| When we try to run xterm from a System V client, the server returns
| the following error:
|
| X Protocol error detected by server: integer parameter out of range
|   Failed request major op code 2 X_ChangeWindowAttributes
|   Failed request minor op code 0 (if applicable)
|   ResourceID 0x40001a in failed request (if applicable)
|   Serial number of failed request 72
|   Current serial number in output stream 77
|
| Can anyone explain what is going on?  What, if anything, can we
| do to fix the problem?

It looks like you're using an old version of xterm.  Versions of xterm
dating from X11R3 and before have a bug where they set a window's
do-not-propagate mask to an illegal value, ~0.  (This mask is restricted to
device events only, and ~0 contains mask bits for non-device events.)
Older servers (X11R3 and before) didn't detect this error.  Newer servers,
such as X11/NeWS and X11R4, will generate the error you're seeing.

The only real fix is to get a more recent version of xterm.  I believe that
xterm doesn't set the illegal value until it creates a scrollbar, so you
might not get the error if you turn off xterm's scrollbar.

s'marks

Stuart W. Marks			ARPA: smarks@eng.sun.com
Window Systems Group		UUCP: sun!smarks
Sun Microsystems, Inc.

michels@bob.uucp (Alan Michels) (03/22/90)

In article <8490@cg-atla.agfa.com> felleman@cg-atla.agfa.com (John Felleman) writes:
>We have just begun using some of the X11 features of our X11/NeWS
>server (OPEN WINDOWS 1.0), and are having some birthing pains.
>When we try to run xterm from a System V client, the server returns
>the following error:
>
>X Protocol error detected by server: integer parameter out of range
>  Failed request major op code 2 X_ChangeWindowAttributes
>  Failed request minor op code 0 (if applicable)
>  ResourceID 0x40001a in failed request (if applicable)
>  Serial number of failed request 72
>  Current serial number in output stream 77
>
>Can anyone explain what is going on?  What, if anything, can we
>do to fix the problem?

I just had this explained to me by someone at Sony.  (The Sony server
also does this.)  The problem is not in the server but in xterm:

+The problem is that xterms in releases up to X11R4 had a
+bug in them.  The bug is that they call XGrabPointer with an
+even mask that has values set that shouldn't be (xlock, FrameMaker,
+and a few others do this as well).
+
+The Sony X11R3 server has a lot of X11R4 "fixes" in it, and this
+includes the code that checks for these "out of range" values.
+
+The solution is to assume that the Sony server is as tight as the
+R4 server is, and tell the server to be "backwards compatible".
+To do this, create the file ~/.xserverrc, make it executable, and
+put the lines
+
+        #!/bin/sh
+        exec /usr/bin/X11/Xnews bc
+
+in it (note: no - before the bc).  After you restart the server,
+things will work fine.

The solution on X11R4 is to run xset bc.

I don't know what the solution is on X11/NeWS or on HP-UX 7.0.  Anybody
out there know what to do?
Alan Michels
michels@ide.com ..!uunet!ide!michels
IDE - Interactive Development Environments
595 Market St, 12th floor San Francisco, CA 94105