[comp.windows.x] xmh questions

spaf@cs.purdue.EDU (Gene Spafford) (03/28/88)

Thanks to postings here, I got xmh to run.  (If you haven't seen the posting
yet, you need to specify a geometry instead of the default to keep it
from hanging during startup; I use 650x650.)

Now, for a few questions I haven't been able to resolve by playing around:

1) Is there any way to start up xmh in icon form and specify where I want the
icon to go?  I can start it as an icon, but it is always placed where
the cursor is -- and I want to place it a predefined spot on my screen and
open it into a window only after mail has arrived.

2) Speaking of opening the window after mail arrives, I am not getting the
icon to change when new mail arrives.  I have the MailWaiting and CheckNew
flags set to True, but the icon never changes state.  Any clues what
I should do to check it out?

3) Is there a resource name or class to specify the cursor shape inside
composition windows?  The I-beam cursor is not well-suited for use here.

4) Anyone know what changes have to be made to keep the "pick" option
from dumping core with memory faults?  I'm on a Sun 3/50, SunOS 3.4, btw.

Thanks in advance for any help anyone can provide!

--
Gene Spafford
NSF/Purdue/U of Florida  Software Engineering Research Center,

diamant@hpfclp.HP.COM (John Diamant) (03/30/88)

> 2) Speaking of opening the window after mail arrives, I am not getting the
> icon to change when new mail arrives.  I have the MailWaiting and CheckNew
> flags set to True, but the icon never changes state.  Any clues what
> I should do to check it out?

This problem existed on R1 as well (I thought the bug and fix got submitted,
but I now find out that it didn't).  I will resubmit it.  However, the
problem is with the window managers not the clients.  uwm is too dumb
to know about icon changes (at least it was in R1, I haven't checked R2).
wm knew about the change and tried to fix things, but forgot to remap the
window, so it just disappears.  I didn't attempt to fix uwm, but did find
the spot where wm forgot to map the window and fixed that.  Now, wm doesn't
seem to work properly with xterm (always creates a very small window on R2).

John Diamant	diamant@hpfclp or hpfcla!diamant

dana@dino.bellcore.com (Dana A. Chee) (03/17/90)

Well, I bit the bullet and installed mh so that I could try out xmh.
Now its question time.

1) how do you get your .signature file at the end of a mail message
that you're composing?

2) Is there any way to change the mail notify icon to something else
(I'd like to use the inbox icon that xbiff has).

3) When a notice box pops up, the message is cut off and is hard to
read.  Is there any way to make the text part of the dialog the full
width of the message?

4) Is there a way to suppress the cc: line in replies?

I guess that's about it for now.

+*************************************************************************+
*  Dana Chee				(201) 829-4488			  *
*  Bellcore								  *
*  Room 2Q-250								  *
*  445 South Street			ARPA: dana@bellcore.com		  *
*  Morristown,  NJ  07960-1910		UUCP: {gateways}!bellcore!dana	  *

colas@babar.inria.fr (Colas Nahaboo) (03/19/90)

In article <21000@bellcore.bellcore.com> you write:
First, MH questions:
|> 1) how do you get your .signature file at the end of a mail message
|> that you're composing?

Include it in your ~/Mail/components file. Mine is: