[comp.windows.x] xview PANEL_LIST

prentice@bbn.com (Muriel Prentice) (03/22/90)

Given the Xview PANEL_LIST package:

It doesn't appear that you can find out which item is at the top of
the displayed list (as opposed to which item is the first item in the list),
nor can you set which item is displayed at the top of the list
(other than organizing your list prior to creating it).

Does anyone know if this be supported in subsequent releases?

M. Prentice  (prentice.bbn.com)
BBN STC

hvr@kimba.Sun.COM (Heather Rose) (03/23/90)

In article <53910@bbn.COM> prentice@bbn.com (Muriel Prentice) writes:

>Given the Xview PANEL_LIST package:
>
>It doesn't appear that you can find out which item is at the top of
>the displayed list (as opposed to which item is the first item in the list),
>nor can you set which item is displayed at the top of the list
>(other than organizing your list prior to creating it).
>
>Does anyone know if this be supported in subsequent releases?

Currently, there is no public way to retrieve the scrollbar for the panel list
object.  Once you have the scrollbar, you can get this kind of information.

For the next release of XView, we added the following functionality to
address this point:

PANEL_LIST_SCROLLBAR returns the scrollbar attached to a PANEL_LIST
panel item.  By setting SCROLLBAR_VIEW_START on this scrollbar, the
Scrolling List will be scrolled so that the desired row can be positioned
as desired in the Scrolling List.  The SCROLLBAR_VIEW_START's value
corresponds to the row number.  (Example: Setting SCROLLBAR_VIEW_START
to 3 will put the fourth row at the top of the display.)  Note that
setting SCROLLBAR_VIEW_START to more than the number of rows less the
number of rows displayed will have no effect.  Note also that PANEL_LIST
row numbers start with 0.

Procedures:	xv_get only
Value:		Scrollbar (i.e., Xv_opaque)
Default:	n/a

Heather Rose
Window Systems Group                      internet:  hrose@sun.com
Sun Microsystems, Inc.                        uucp:  ...!sun!hrose