[net.news] Results of Distribution Test

Well, the distribution feature seems to work fairly well; I'd like to thank
all those who took the time to respond.  I'd also like to apologize if my
attempt at humor offended anyone (except Rich Rosen).

Five sites reported that the article with the usa distribution did not show
up:

  watcgl  ecsvax  sdcsvax  cbosgd  genrad

Many more sites reported that both messages appeared.

John Nelson at genrad reported that the article did not make it to his site;
other sites indicated, however, that the article passed through genrad.  Any
comments, John?

There appears to be a problem with godot.  Every site that reported receiving
the article downstream from harvard saw it pass AROUND godot, even though the
no-distribution version passed straight on through.  Since I received no
messages at all from godot, I'm not sure that this is not a fluke. Could
someone at godot please check to see if the article made it there?

A few people checked their configuration and found that usa would not be
recognized as a distribution.  Perhaps the people at mod.newslists might
want to list the major distributions.

The following sites are known to have received the distribution article (NOT
guaranteed to be complete!):

dartvax  harvard  bbncca  linus  philabs  hao  cvl  elsie  utsally  uwvax

seismo  fortune nsc  decwrl  amd  amdcad  decvax  mit-eddie

PLEASE do not send any more replies if you HAVE received both articles.  Only
reply if the article with the distributionof usa has not yet reached you.

Charley Wingate   umcp-cs!mangoe

bruce@godot.UUCP (Bruce Nemnich) (11/20/84)

I hadn't replied to your original survey, but since my machine was
implicated by your recent message, I thought I'd check it out.  Sure
enough, I received both messages, but through different paths.  Godot
shuffles news among three neighbors: harvard, mit-eddie, and cirl.
According to my logs, I passed the first message (with usa dist) on to
just cirl, which seems correct since I got it from mit-eddie, and it had
already been to harvard according to the path.  The 2nd article was
passed to both mit-eddie and cirl (I got it from harvard).

Everything seems kosher here.

--
--Bruce Nemnich, Thinking Machines Corporation, Cambridge, MA
  ihnp4!godot!bruce, bjn@mit-mc.arpa ... soon to be bruce@godot.arpa