[comp.windows.x] Article in Byte - Apr90

In article <23942@usc.edu> rslau@skat.usc.edu (Robert Lau) writes:
>At the risk of violating copyright laws, here's the table that appeared in
>the article, "From TTY to VUI" by Frank Hayes in the Apr 90 issue of Byte:
>
>GUI              Mac         Windows     PM         Open Look     Motif
>OS		 Mac         MS-DOS      OS/2       Unix          Unix
>Multitasking	 No          Yes         Yes        Yes           Yes
>Networking	 No          No          No         Yes           Yes
>File Manager     Internal    Internal    Internal   Internal      External
>Consistency
> across apps     Very good   Good        Good       Not available Not available
>Graphics perf    Good        Good        Good       Slow          Slow
>Menu style       Pull-down   Drop-down   Drop-down  Pushpin       Drop-down
>CLI available    No          Yes         Yes        Yes           Yes
>Underlying
> standards       Mac         SAA         SAA        X-window      X-window
>Software base    Large       Moderate    Moderate   Nonexistent   Nonexistent
>Available        Yes         Yes         Yes        No            No
>
>The stuff about Open Look and Motif doesn't look right.  Sun provides
Really?  I thought it looked pretty good.  I'm not sure what they mean by "internal"
file manager (presumably not where it's implemented) and you could argue with
the availability.  But otherwise.

>an XView Programmer's Style Guide as does OSF.  Graphics performance
They don't mention style guide, they refer to consistency.  To paraphrase Heinlein.
A Style Guide is what you expect, Consistency is what you get.  Since there aren't
enough apps out yet you can't measure consistency in the X environment.

>cannot be generalized as being "slow".  Menu-style description is
On comparable hardware X is definitely slow.  I'd say we lost about a generation
worth of performance in exchange for portability - e.g. my X performance on this
generations hardware is about as fast as my native graphics performance on last
generations.

| Alphalpha Software, Inc. | Voice/Fax: 617/646-7703 |   Home: 617/641-3805   |
| 148 Scituate St.         | Smart fax, dial number. |                        |
| Arlington, MA 02174      | Dumb fax, dial number,  |   BBS:  617/641-3722   |
| nazgul@alphalpha.com     | wait for ring, press 3. |   300/1200/2400 baud   |