[net.news] Freedom of speech and the net

gam@amdahl.UUCP (Gordon A. Moffett) (11/08/84)

> In article <7@cmu-cs-k.ARPA> tim@cmu-cs-k.ARPA (Tim Maroney) writes:
>
> To sum up:  If everyone at your site has the right to post, except you, and
> this decision was made on the basis of unpopular opinions in your postings,
> your civil rights have been violated.

Now that the US Constitution has been distributed over the entire Usenet
you have no excuse for not reading it.

The First Amendment says: "*CONGRESS* shall make no law ... abridging
the freedom of speech."  (emphasis mine).

If someone else abridges your freedom of speech (and this happens all
the time) your civil rights are not being violated -- UNLESS this
abrigement is executed by some government entity, federal or otherwise.

By convention, using political means to silence another's use of a
medium (such as Usenet), is considered a violation of *ETHICS*, which
I take just as seriously as a constitutional violation.  This is what
happens on Usenet.  It is not, then, illegal -- merely despicable.
--
Gordon A. Moffett		...!{ihnp4,hplabs,amd,nsc}!amdahl!gam

[ This is just me talking. ]

rcd@opus.UUCP (Dick Dunn) (11/13/84)

> Now that the US Constitution has been distributed over the entire Usenet
> you have no excuse for not reading it.
>
> The First Amendment says: "*CONGRESS* shall make no law ... abridging
> the freedom of speech."  (emphasis mine).
>
> If someone else abridges your freedom of speech (and this happens all
> the time) your civil rights are not being violated -- UNLESS this
> abrigement is executed by some government entity, federal or otherwise.

Hogwash.  It means that the Constitutional rights guaranteed to you are not
being violated.  As it turns out, the Constitution also grants Congress and
other legislative bodies the right to create legislation of various sorts,
obviously including additional legislation to secure other civil rights.

Since you're hot on the Constitutional aspects of the question, see
Amendments IX and X (also part of the Bill of Rights).
--
Dick Dunn	{hao,ucbvax,allegra}!nbires!rcd		(303)444-5710 x3086
   ...Never attribute to malice what can be adequately explained by stupidity.

tim@cmu-cs-k.ARPA (Tim Maroney) (11/15/84)

> > To sum up:  If everyone at your site has the right to post, except you,
> > and this decision was made on the basis of unpopular opinions in your
> > postings, your civil rights have been violated.
>
> Now that the US Constitution has been distributed over the entire Usenet
> you have no excuse for not reading it.
>
> The First Amendment says: "*CONGRESS* shall make no law ... abridging
> the freedom of speech."  (emphasis mine).
>
> If someone else abridges your freedom of speech (and this happens all
> the time) your civil rights are not being violated -- UNLESS this
> abrigement is executed by some government entity, federal or otherwise.

The courts have never treated the Constitution the way a fundamentalist
Christian claims to treat the Bible.  The approach used is that of upholding
the spirit and not the letter.  Since you are representing yourself as
knowledgable concerning these matters, you have no excuse for your lack of
familiarity with the workings of the courts.  (And I wouldn't have thrown in
that comment if not for yours....)

The concept of "civil liberties" is much broader than the wording of the
Bill of Rights suggests, at least under the interpretation of the courts.
For instance, consider the "Constitutional right to privacy".  This appears
nowhere explicitly in the Constitution, yet it forms the basis for a large
number of rulings defending the privacy of individuals.  The Supreme Court
held that it was clearly implied by the Constitution.  The Supreme Court,
not lay literal interpretation, is the ultimate authority on the document's
meaning.  Consider the Fourteenth Amendment, which forbids racial
discrimination only by the states; yet we all know that it is an illegal
violation of a person's civil rights for a private company to refuse to hire
him on grounds of race.

> By convention, using political means to silence another's use of a
> medium (such as Usenet), is considered a violation of *ETHICS*, which
> I take just as seriously as a constitutional violation.  This is what
> happens on Usenet.  It is not, then, illegal -- merely despicable.

Despicable, yes, but not legal.  Still, at least our conclusions are
similar to that extent.

Sorry for the delay in responding, but I felt sure someone else would jump
on these misinterpretations.
--
Tim Maroney, Carnegie-Mellon University Computation Center
ARPA:	Tim.Maroney@CMU-CS-K

"Remember all ye that existence is pure joy; that all the sorrows are
but as shadows; they pass & are done; but there is that which remains."
Liber AL, II:9.

gam@amdahl.UUCP (Gordon A. Moffett) (11/15/84)

[ From a private correspondence ]

>                                To the best of my knowledge there has never
>  been a test case concerning freedom of speech on anything like USENET,
>  and until there is, I don't see how anyone can state with certainty whether
>  such "silencing" is legal or not.

OK, I relent and agree, we cannot answer this question now.  My opinion
is that corporations have the right control their employees' access to
USENET as they can control any other computing resource.

It is possible that public and semi-public USENET sites, especially
universities and privately owned Unix systems (such as Proper Unix in
Oakland) have constitutional protections on their USENET postings.
However, as a practical matter, if the feeding site for Proper
(intelca) felt that Proper users were generating undesirable articles
then intelca could cut proper off, and so on up the line.

So the protection of people's right to post (if any) would be difficult
to enforce.  I know if I owned a computer system attached to Usenet
I would not want the government to force me to allow anyone to say anything
they wanted with it.  It is my property, I own it, and I should be the one
to control it.  (On the other hand, I wouldn't want my connection to
the network severed because another site didn't like what I had to say).

Constitutional issues like this are not simple matters, to be sure.
--
Gordon A. Moffett		...!{ihnp4,hplabs,amd,nsc}!amdahl!gam

37 22'50" N / 122 59'12" W	[ This is just me talking. ]

arnold@ucsfcgl.UUCP (Ken Arnold%CGL) (11/20/84)

In article <517@amdahl.UUCP> gam@amdahl.UUCP (Gordon A. Moffett) writes:
>[ From a private correspondence ]
>
>>                                To the best of my knowledge there has never
>>  been a test case concerning freedom of speech on anything like USENET,
>>  and until there is, I don't see how anyone can state with certainty whether
>>  such "silencing" is legal or not.
>
>OK, I relent and agree, we cannot answer this question now.  My opinion
>is that corporations have the right control their employees' access to
>USENET as they can control any other computing resource.

>So the protection of people's right to post (if any) would be difficult
>to enforce.  I know if I owned a computer system attached to Usenet
>I would not want the government to force me to allow anyone to say anything
>they wanted with it.  It is my property, I own it, and I should be the one
>to control it.  (On the other hand, I wouldn't want my connection to
>the network severed because another site didn't like what I had to say).
>
>Constitutional issues like this are not simple matters, to be sure.
>--
>Gordon A. Moffett		...!{ihnp4,hplabs,amd,nsc}!amdahl!gam

The closest analogy to the net I can see is a company bulletin board in
a hallway, which it allows employees to affix notices to.  The company
certainly has the right to decide how that bulliten board will be used
by saying "no religious messages" or "no political messages".  I
wonder, however, whether they have the right to say "only Christian
religious messages" or "only liberal political messages" are allowed.
This does not seem either reasonable or legal to me.  I would think
that they would either have to allow all messages of a given type or
none -- otherwise they are discriminating on the basis of political
opion, religious views, or whatever in the granting of priviliges to
employees.

		Ken Arnold

msj@gitpyr.UUCP (Mike St. Johns) (11/20/84)

In article <> version B 2.10.2 9/18/84; site gitpyr.UUCP version B 2.10 5/3/83; site cmu-cs-k.ARPA gitpyr!gatech!akgua!mcnc!decvax!genrad!wjh12!harvard!seismo!rochester!cmu-cs-pt!cmu-cs-k!tim tim@cmu-cs-k.ARPA (Tim Maroney) writes:

>held that it was clearly implied by the Constitution.  The Supreme Court,
>not lay literal interpretation, is the ultimate authority on the document's
>meaning.  Consider the Fourteenth Amendment, which forbids racial
>discrimination only by the states; yet we all know that it is an illegal
>violation of a person's civil rights for a private company to refuse to hire
>him on grounds of race.

Sorry, but the reason it is a violation of a persons civil rights to refuse
to hire him on the basis of race is that Congress passed the Civil Rights
Acts of 1964. (I may be wrong about the exact title).  Other acts have popped
up from time to time.  (For example age discrimination was an amendment to
the Act).  The fourteenth amendment did a lot of things.  It is the "equal
protection under law" amendment.  Although it required equal treatment, the
way the treatment was given was not specified.  This gave rise to such things
as the "seperate but equal" doctrine that pervaded our school systems
until as late as the 1950s.  The Civil Rights Act strictly defined the
meaning of the term "discrimination" and further, indicated the penalties
to be levied for non-compliance.  Certain forms of discrimination are still
permitted where there is a bona fide occupational requirement, (nude dancer
in strip joint?) but even these are subject to challenge. (I seem to remember
a case where a non-oriental was denied employment in a Chinese restaurant.
He sued and lost...*fading memory*)

Mike
--
Mike St. Johns
...!{akgua,allegra,amd,hplabs,ihnp4,seismo,ut-ngp}!gatech!gitpyr!msj

robison@eosp1.UUCP (Tobias D. Robison) (11/20/84)

In article <517@amdahl.UUCP> gam@amdahl.UUCP (Gordon A. Moffett) writes:

>OK, I relent and agree, we cannot answer this question now.  My opinion
>is that corporations have the right control their employees' access to
>USENET as they can control any other computing resource.

The more general case is that companies have a right to view
employees as their representatives to the world, and to mediate
their behavior when using any company facilities or representing the
company.  The relationship between Universities and students or
faculty does not fit this model well, and so complicates the issue,
but even for Universities and their non-faculty employees, in general,
the model holds true.

Companies don't give employees time during work hours to do whatever
they want, regardless of how the outside world views it;  they don't
have to give their employees access to company equipment to use for
personal reasons.  Newspapers don't allow their employees to publish
any news stories or opinion that they feel like publishing.  Etcetera.

The Unix net is partly supported by government money.  This might make
a difference to the right of system owners to control access to the
net, but it is not a clear right, as some writers on this net have
alleged; it's tough law that has yet to be fought in the courts.
[In contrast, regarding lab equipment that's partly supported by
government money, can students use it any way they want, or does the
University get to control it?  Can students publish studies based
on use of this equipment in any journal they want, or is access to
report results restricted?  Can students demand the free right to
use any goverment-purchased hardware to form a communications system?]

System owners have an obvious alternative if forced to give
unrestricted access to the net; they don't have to provide ANY
financial support to the net.  The computers and phone lines can be
used for other things.  Therefore it's pretty much a no-win battle to
fight for unrestricted access.

Can't we settle for remarkably inexpensive, and remarkably unrestricted
access for SLIGHTLY responsible people, such as we have now?

  - Toby Robison (not Robinson!)
  {allegra, decvax!ittvax, fisher, princeton}!eosp1!robison

dee@cca.UUCP (Donald Eastlake) (11/21/84)

I think this whole thing is a lot more complicated than most people are
making it out to be.  Consider the physical bulletin board case.  If the
bulletin board were maintained by a religious organization, I think they
would be found to have the right to allow only "Christian"" or whatever
messages. Similarly a political party would probably be found to have
the right to politically censor messages on a bulletin board it control.
(These may be dumb/bad things to do, but I am talking about legalities.)
What if a business adopted a general policy that all notices on a
physical bulletin board it controls must be signed by the poster, who
must be an employee, and must be signed by the posters supervisor
certifying that the posting of the message is not harmful to the
business?  This would be pretty cumbersome but I don't see that it
would be illegal/unconstitutional.

Although there are lots of exceptions these days to do with race, sex,
etc., isn't it still the default that a business can fire someone for
any reason?  If so, why can't a business threaten to fire someone if
they, say, post any computer messages referencing X and then carry out
the threat if the employee violates the directive?

--
	+	Donald E. Eastlake, III
	ARPA:	dee@CCA-UNIX		usenet:	{decvax,linus}!cca!dee

robison@eosp1.UUCP (Tobias D. Robison) (11/21/84)

>The closest analogy to the net I can see is a company bulletin board in
>a hallway, which it allows employees to affix notices to.  The company
>certainly has the right to decide how that bulliten board will be used
>by saying "no religious messages" or "no political messages".  I
>wonder, however, whether they have the right to say "only Christian
>religious messages" or "only liberal political messages" are allowed.
>This does not seem either reasonable or legal to me.  I would think
>that they would either have to allow all messages of a given type or
>none -- otherwise they are discriminating on the basis of political
>opion, religious views, or whatever in the granting of priviliges to
>employees.
>
>		Ken Arnold

This is an incorrect analogy; a company bulletin board is internal,
and does not affect the company's commerce with the outside world.
A better analogy -- suppose the company printed a newspaper with
articles by employees, and distributed it to anyone in the world
who wanted it.  They would NATURALLY exercise as much editorial control
over the content as they wished.

Regarding the internal bulletin board, I'm sure a company could
reasonably penalize employees who spent too much working time posting
messages, or who posted messages that hurt company morale.