[comp.windows.x] Languages for building Graphical User Interfaces: debate

In article <1990Apr6.024209.17870@uokmax.uucp> randy@uokmax.uucp (Longshot) writes:
>I am currently working on a research survey here for an OO design course. In
>my plowing through journals and such, I have found a couple of articles that

Don't forget Open Dialogue from Apollo.  I can dig up the references if
anyone wants them.
| Alphalpha Software, Inc. | Voice/Fax: 617/646-7703 |   Home: 617/641-3805   |
| 148 Scituate St.         | Smart fax, dial number. |                        |
| Arlington, MA 02174      | Dumb fax, dial number,  |   BBS:  617/641-3722   |
| nazgul@alphalpha.com     | wait for ring, press 3. |   300/1200/2400 baud   |

mayer@hplabsz.HPL.HP.COM (Niels Mayer) (04/10/90)

In article <6048@accuvax.nwu.edu> sandell@ferret.ils.nwu.edu (Greg Sandell) writes:
>I would like to open a discussion on the topic of programming languages
>for Graphical User Interfaces (GUIs).

I recently finished a paper related to this topic. It will appear in the
proceedings of Xhibition '90 ("A technical conference and trade show
focussing on X and Open systems", May 21-24, 1990, San Jose, CA).

	Niels Mayer, Allan Shepherd, and Allan Kuchinsky
	"WINTERP: An object-oriented, rapid prototyping, development and
	delivery environment for building extensible applications with
	the OSF/Motif UI Toolkit."
	In the proceedings of Xhibition 90, May 21-24, 1990, San Jose CA
	(in press).

Although the paper's main role is to introduce WINTERP, there is some
discussion on:
   (1) The role of interpreting user interface descriptions (as
       opposed to compiling them as in Motif's UIL, or using traditional
       C+Xt+<widget_set> programming);
   (2) The role of a programming language in a UIMS;
   (3) The need for a full-powered but lightweight customization language
       to be embedded in applications (ala gnuemacs or AutoCAD).
   (4) Evolving a UIMS architecture allowing extensibe UI customization.
   (5) Advantages of Lisp as a UIMS language [WINTERP is based on XLISP, a
       tiny interpreter for a subset of common lisp extended with a simple
       object system.].

The LaTeX source for the submitted paper (excluding two screen snapshots)
is available via anonymous ftp from expo.lcs.mit.edu in directory
contrib/winterp
	-rw-rw-rw-  1 ftp         72049 Apr  9 23:36 xhibition90.tex
(sources are in the same directory, file winterp.tar.Z).

For more information on Xhibition '90 registration, paper copies of the
conference proceedings, etc, please contact Integrated Computer Solutions,
Inc. at (617)547-0510.

	    Niels Mayer -- hplabs!mayer -- mayer@hplabs.hp.com
		  Human-Computer Interaction Department
		       Hewlett-Packard Laboratories