[comp.windows.x] Call for discussion: comp.windows.openlook

In article <1990Apr4.015351.25597@dasys1.uucp> mls@dasys1.uucp (Michael Siemon) writes:

>I'd like to request discussion towards creating a new group to be called
>comp.windows.openlook, intended for programming and product discussions
>of stuff built on the Open Look(*) X11 toolkit.  The idea is to keep such
*Which* Open Look X11 toolkit?  XView or Xt+?
The current move seems to be towards:
	comp.windows.x.motif
	comp.windows.x.xview
presumably if there is demand you could do
	comp.windows.x.xt+

>My understanding is that comp.windows.x (a.k.a. xpert) is not easily
>splittable, being in its primary incarnation not a USENET group at all,
It is splitable in that a second mailing list can be created people
can be redirected to use that for appropriate discussions.  If comp.windows.x.motif
is created I'll redirect it to/from the motif@alphalpha.com mailing list.
Presumbably someone can do the same for xview/xt+

>but a mailing list maintained by the X Consortium people at MIT.  It
>seems to me to make sense to keep discussions of the specific toolkits
>(as opposed to more generic software like the intrinsics, or XView)
>out of xpert.  Hence, if discussion seems favorable, I will run a vote
Yes, but.  XView isn't "more generic software".  Did you mean to imply
that it belonged in or out of the xpert mailing list?

| Alphalpha Software, Inc. | Voice/Fax: 617/646-7703 |   Home: 617/641-3805   |
| 148 Scituate St.         | Smart fax, dial number. |                        |
| Arlington, MA 02174      | Dumb fax, dial number,  |   BBS:  617/641-3722   |
| nazgul@alphalpha.com     | wait for ring, press 3. |   300/1200/2400 baud   |

rowe@cme.nist.GOV (Walter Rowe) (04/09/90)

Bruce> In article <1990Apr4.015351.25597@dasys1.uucp> mls@dasys1.uucp
Bruce> (Michael Siemon) writes:

Bruce>     I'd like to request discussion towards creating a new group to
Bruce>     be called comp.windows.openlook, intended for programming and
Bruce>     product discussions of stuff built on the Open Look(*) X11
Bruce>     toolkit.

Bruce> This is a bad name. OpenLook is a user interface. There is
Bruce> nothing that says it is related to X.

You make a good point in that OpenLook isn't tied directly to X.  The
author should have phrased his question differently.  But, the name
should still be OK since it doesn't make any specific reference to X.

-wpr
---
Walter P. Rowe, <rowe@cme.nist.gov>
System Administrator, Robot Systems Division

niklas@appli.se (Niklas Hallqvist) (04/09/90)

In <1990Apr5.130434.11677@dasys1.uucp> Michael Siemon writes:
> ... My
> own preference is for a single openlook group, independent of the X11
> groups.

	Well, why not create a root group for Graphical User Interfaces (GUI)
named comp.gui and make off-springs for every often-discussed GUI, like
comp.gui.openlook, comp.gui.pm, comp.gui.mac etc.?  This newsgroup structure
would encapsulate "look and feel" discussions.  In the root group would general
GUI discussions reside, like "What feels best, multi-clicking on one mouse
button vs. single-clicking on multiple mouse buttons?".

					Niklas

jdm@gssc.UUCP (John David Miller) (04/11/90)

Count my vote as a "yay" for an OPEN LOOK newsgroup.  I will probably be a
regular contributor, as my book on OPEN LOOK Toolkit programming is due out
the first part of May:

		           tm      tm
	Title: An OPEN LOOK at UNIX: A Developer's Guide to X
	Author: John David Miller
	Publisher: M&T Publishing (publishers of  Dr. Dobb's Journal)

	Topic: Comprehensive programming tour of the AT&T OPEN LOOK X Toolkit,
		including nearly 13,000 lines of C code.

		Ch 1 : Overview of the OPEN LOOK GUI as it affects app style
		Ch 2 : Concise summary of X from the app-developer's view
		Ch 3 : Intro to Object-Oriented Programming
		Ch 4 : App-developer's guide to the Xt Intrinsics
		Ch 5 : The OPEN LOOK widget and gadget set, demo'ing every one
		Ch 6 : Turning programs into real apps: ICCCM, Xrm, OL GUI
		Ap A : The Xtutil Utility Library: the things Xt forgot

I worked on this book for over a year, and during that time watched OPEN LOOK
evolve from a spec with a weak implementation to an extremely powerful and
usable user- and programmer-interface.  The folks at AT&T are to be commended
on their outstanding work.  Certainly, UI design is highly-subjective, but
for my $.02, I prefer many OPEN LOOK UI policies to those of the NeXT machine
I am using to type this.

If you do buy the book, please feel free to contact me with any questions and
comments.

-- jdm
--
John David Miller                      jdm@gss.com
Graphic Software Systems               uunet!gssc!jdm