[comp.windows.x] X applications in disk wait??

zebulon@csd.uwo.ca (Scott Feeney) (04/10/90)

I really wouldn't wish this problem on anyone, but... I hope someone _has_
experienced this and solved it.

Setting: network of Sun 3/50s and 3/60s connected to 2 - 3/180 and 1 - 3/280
servers; X11R4 (fixes 1-3,6-9; fixes 4 & 5 being non-Sun specific);
SunOS4.0.3 (with one notable exception)

Symptoms: At seemingly random times, seemingly random X11 applications will
go into a disk wait state. This has even occurred when bringing X11 up
(via xinit -- :0 -a 4 -bs -su -t 5 -co /usr2/lib/X11R4/rgb). Remote logging
in to the affected station (this state invariably freezes the screen) and
running ps -aux shows a random sampling of X11 applications in disk wait
states. This has happened to xterms, twm, the X server, xload, etc., and
any combination of the afore mentioned. I have waited as long as my
patience has allowed (which is admittedly getting extremely short) but the
disk wait states persist. I have tried to delete the offending processes
but they won't go away. (The local Unix/Sun guru has confirmed that it
is impossible to delete processes which are in a disk wait state. sigh...)
There is nothing left to do but reboot the work-station. 8^(

Diagnosis: ??????

Cure: ??????

Is there anyone who has seen this problem and fixed it.

Oh yes. The notable exception.... It just so happens that _my_ 3/60 has yet
to have its kernel upgraded to SunOS4.0.3. I'm still at 4.0.1.... and I have
yet to experience any of the above symptoms 8^>. I know there is a connection,
but for the life of me I haven't been able to decipher it.

Help.

- scott

P.S. - An office-mate has pointed out that occasionally, non-X11 processes
will go into disk-wait states as well. Most notably cc and latex. (?!?!)
And, I have yet to hear of any problems reported from local Sunview users.

---
Scott Feeney,  Research Associate,  Department of Computer Science
The University of Western Ontario,  London Canada, N6A 5B7
zebulon@csd.uwo.ca, zebulon@uwocsd.UUCP
---

holtz@valais.csmil.umich.edu (Brian Holtz) (04/10/90)

In article <218@ria.ccs.uwo.ca> zebulon@csd.uwo.ca (Scott Feeney) writes:

>P.S. - An office-mate has pointed out that occasionally, non-X11 processes
>will go into disk-wait states as well. Most notably cc and latex. (?!?!)
>And, I have yet to hear of any problems reported from local Sunview users.

We've been having exactly the same problem, with rn of all things.

martin@.UUCP (04/11/90)

> Setting: network of Sun 3/50s and 3/60s connected to 2 - 3/180 and 1 - 3/280
> servers; X11R4 (fixes 1-3,6-9; fixes 4 & 5 being non-Sun specific);
> SunOS4.0.3 (with one notable exception)
>
> Symptoms: At seemingly random times, seemingly random X11 applications will
> go into a disk wait state. This has even occurred when bringing X11 up

We have had the same problems here. A patch is available from Sun, so
contact your local Sun support person ...

Martin.

-----

Martin Elliot,				martin@es2.co.uk
European Silicon Structures

strauss@AEROSPACE.AERO.ORG (04/11/90)

In article <218@ria.ccs.uwo.ca>, zebulon@csd.uwo.ca (Scott Feeney) writes:
|> I really wouldn't wish this problem on anyone, but... I hope someone _has_
|> experienced this and solved it.
|>
|> Setting: network of Sun 3/50s and 3/60s connected to 2 - 3/180 and 1 - 3/280
|> servers; X11R4 (fixes 1-3,6-9; fixes 4 & 5 being non-Sun specific);
|> SunOS4.0.3 (with one notable exception)
|>
|> Symptoms: At seemingly random times, seemingly random X11 applications will
|> go into a disk wait state. This has even occurred when bringing X11 up
|> (via xinit -- :0 -a 4 -bs -su -t 5 -co /usr2/lib/X11R4/rgb). Remote logging
|> in to the affected station (this state invariably freezes the screen) and
|> running ps -aux shows a random sampling of X11 applications in disk wait
|> states. This has happened to xterms, twm, the X server, xload, etc., and
|> any combination of the afore mentioned. I have waited as long as my
|> patience has allowed (which is admittedly getting extremely short) but the
|> disk wait states persist. I have tried to delete the offending processes
|> but they won't go away. (The local Unix/Sun guru has confirmed that it
|> is impossible to delete processes which are in a disk wait state. sigh...)
|> There is nothing left to do but reboot the work-station. 8^(
|>
|> Diagnosis: ??????
|>
|> Cure: ??????
|>
|> Is there anyone who has seen this problem and fixed it.
|>
|> Oh yes. The notable exception.... It just so happens that _my_ 3/60 has yet
|> to have its kernel upgraded to SunOS4.0.3. I'm still at 4.0.1.... and I have
|> yet to experience any of the above symptoms 8^>. I know there is a
connection,
|> but for the life of me I haven't been able to decipher it.
|>
|> Help.
|>
|> - scott
|>
|> P.S. - An office-mate has pointed out that occasionally, non-X11 processes
|> will go into disk-wait states as well. Most notably cc and latex. (?!?!)
|> And, I have yet to hear of any problems reported from local Sunview users.
|>
|> ---
|> Scott Feeney,  Research Associate,  Department of Computer Science
|> The University of Western Ontario,  London Canada, N6A 5B7
|> zebulon@csd.uwo.ca, zebulon@uwocsd.UUCP
|> ---

I am afraid that this has nothing to do with X, it is a bug in SunOS
4.0. We have had a LOT of problems with it. We get individual processes
going South on us, but we also see a state where almost all processes
you start go into disk wait. (infrequently) That, of course, makes the
machine unusable until you reboot.

We have reported it to Sun and they are working on it. There is nothing
you can do to kill the process. On the better side, it is worth noting
that although the "load index" (that stange number you sys-system prints
when do an xload) goes up by exactly one, the actual performance of the
machine is not significantly affected. The load goes up because there is
now one more process that is considered "active" and in the queue, but
the machine never really restarts the process, so the actual cycles that
it wates are minimal.

							- |Daryll

Daryll Strauss          			f	The Aerospace Corp.
strauss@aero.org		      		n	Mail Stop: M1-102
...!uunet!aero.org!strauss			o	P.O. Box 92957
                                                r       Los Angeles, Ca. 90009
"MY opinions. You here me? They're mine!"    	d	(213) 336-9358