[comp.windows.x] Internationalization in UNIX and X

In article <1990Apr5.213320.15067@agate.berkeley.edu> pbrown@tornado.Berkeley.EDU (Philip Brown) writes:
>would let me do the same thing?  The idea is not to have to restart the
>system, as this is on a token ring network, and taking it down would do
>nasty things to anyone who has an account on that machine's disk, and was
>working on a file at that time!

Good grief, you never have to shutdown that far if you just want to
restart.  Doing an 'ex' in the DM will take you down low enough to
restart all the software, but the network will still be up and the
disk accessable, so remote users won't notice.  I think if you aren't
running the DM you can get an equivalent shutdown by killing init,
although I'm not sure with what signal (probably TSTP).

| Alphalpha Software, Inc. | Voice/Fax: 617/646-7703 |   Home: 617/641-3805   |
| 148 Scituate St.         | Smart fax, dial number. |                        |
| Arlington, MA 02174      | Dumb fax, dial number,  |   BBS:  617/641-3722   |
| nazgul@alphalpha.com     | wait for ring, press 3. |   300/1200/2400 baud   |

jeff@aspect.UUCP (Jeff Rosler) (04/10/90)

>    There are four main group that are working on internationalization.
>
>Gee, you left out the X Consortium (must be a member), which is working
>quite hard on internationalization of X.
>
>				- Miffed :-)

Are you publishing any of the proposed internationalization
changes to the public?  Or, should you be an associate member to
find out what's going on?  I am interested in this subject and
would like to know what the Consortium is working on.

Jeff Rosler
Aspect Telecommunications
1730 Fox Drive
San Jose, CA  95131-2312
uunet!aspect!jeff
(408) 441-2420

rws@EXPO.LCS.MIT.EDU (Bob Scheifler) (04/13/90)

    Are you publishing any of the proposed internationalization
    changes to the public?

All of our standards go through a public review process.  The
internationalization work is not yet to that stage.

    Or, should you be an associate member to
    find out what's going on?

At this stage you need to be a member of the Consortium.  When ready,
the documents will be made available for public review.

    I am interested in this subject and
    would like to know what the Consortium is working on.

Broadly, the Consortium is currently working on internationalized keyboard
input, internationalized text drawing, and internationalized resources.