[comp.windows.x] Help with Xauthority and Visual X-19's

ary@mentor.cc.purdue.edu (Bryan "Archer" Rowland) (04/11/90)

Hello,

I am trying to use the X11R4 xauthority on a network of Visual X-19's
running ROM Version 2.5, but I don't know how to get the server to read
the .Xauthority file in a person's home directory.  Xauthority works
great on the SUN's, but with them the server can be started to use
.Xauthority files.

I thought that if I ran xdm on the Visual X-19's then I could use
xauthority.  Unfortunately this isn't working because xdm thinks the
Visual X-19's are not secure.

Is it possible to run xauthority on Visual X-19's by themselves?  If
not, can it be done with xdm?  What special things do I need to do to
make it work?

thanx,
Bryan

--
Bryan Rowland		Purdue University Computing Center
The Archer		Systems Programmer

keith@EXPO.LCS.MIT.EDU (Keith Packard) (04/11/90)

> I thought that if I ran xdm on the Visual X-19's then I could use
> xauthority.  Unfortunately this isn't working because xdm thinks the
> Visual X-19's are not secure.

The only way xdm can transmit that information to a remote terminal is via
XDMCP; Visual does not support XDMCP (yet), making it impossible to negotiate
authorization.

But, xdm can only use an authorization scheme if the terminal supports it.  For
example, I've been testing a NCD-16 which does support XDMCP, and yet still has
no authorization support; XDMCP doesn't guarantee authorization, it only
provides the mechanism for setting things up.

If you could use even the essentially-insecure MIT-MAGIC-COOKIE-1 authorization,
I suggest you call Visual and see if they're planning on supporting it when
they come out with XDMCP support.

Keith Packard
MIT X Consortium

prc@erbe.se (Robert Claeson) (04/13/90)

In article <9509@mentor.cc.purdue.edu>, ary@mentor.cc.purdue.edu (Bryan "Archer" Rowland) writes:

> I am trying to use the X11R4 xauthority on a network of Visual X-19's
> running ROM Version 2.5, but I don't know how to get the server to read
> the .Xauthority file in a person's home directory.  Xauthority works
> great on the SUN's, but with them the server can be started to use
> .Xauthority files.

If you're running server version 2.5, you should upgrade to 2.6. Even
though this doesn't help you in this particular case, it fixes some bugs
and enhances performance somewhat.

Second, if you have the "Host Software Tape", install and use Visual's
own version of xdm (xdsxdm). It can do about the same things as X11R4 xdm
can, but does it in a different way (heck, it it based on X11R3 xdm and was
developed long before X11R4 xdm with xdmcp). It also supports about the
same features as xauth, but again, in a different way. True X11R4 xdm/xdmcp
and xauth will be supported later this year, or so I've heard.

--
          Robert Claeson      E-mail: rclaeson@erbe.se
	  ERBE DATA AB