[net.news] rn incompatible with checknews?

diamant@cwruecmp.UUCP (John Diamant) (11/21/84)

In article <turtleva.596> ken@turtlevax.UUCP (Ken Turkowski) writes:
>It seems that rn is incompatible with checknews in that rn makes
>entries in the .newsrc file that have no article numbers after the
>colon.  Checknews then says that there is news.
>
>Anyone have a bug fix for either checknews or rn?

The easiest solution is to use rn -c instead of checknews.  I don't know
the exact format of the .newsrc for rn, but since rn has a newschecking
capability already, use it instead, and you shouldn't have any problems.
The -c option tells it to check what newsgroups have unread news as it does
when it starts up, but not to ask you if you want to read them.  The number
of newsgroups it prints is settable by an option.

I would like to take this opportunity to publicly thank Larry Wall for
writing rn.  It is a fantastic program, and he certainly did a great job making
it portable as well.  Installing rn ran very smoothly -- it was a real
pleasure!  Good job!

pc@ukc.UUCP (R.P.A.Collinson) (11/22/84)

In article <596@turtlevax.UUCP> ken@turtlevax.UUCP (Ken Turkowski) writes:
>It seems that rn is incompatible with checknews in that rn makes
>entries in the .newsrc file that have no article numbers after the
>colon.  Checknews then says that there is news.
>
>Anyone have a bug fix for either checknews or rn?
>--

But it says that rn is incompatible in the manual page..............

dan@digi-g.UUCP (Dan Messinger) (11/24/84)

In article <596@turtlevax.UUCP> ken@turtlevax.UUCP (Ken Turkowski) writes:
>It seems that rn is incompatible with checknews in that rn makes
>entries in the .newsrc file that have no article numbers after the
>colon.  Checknews then says that there is news.
>
>Anyone have a bug fix for either checknews or rn?
>--
Have you tried using "rn -c"?