[comp.windows.x] 5 buttons on a 3 button mouse

mickey@altos86.Altos.COM (Michael Thompson) (04/13/90)

I am trying to use virtual buttons 4 and 5 under mwm.
(supposedly, button "4" is buttons 1 and 2 pressed together and
button "5" is buttons 2 and 3 pressed together)

I do have a line

    <Btn4Down>	window		f.menu	RootMenu

in the Buttons section of my .mwmrc, but pressing buttons 1 and 2 together
does not invoke RootMenu.

I see that the problem might be that when one mouse button is held down,
the other mouse buttons will generate ButtonRelease events but not
ButtonPress events!  Is this a bug?  Note that I am using an X-terminal
with an R3 based server; everything else is R4.  If it is a bug, has
it been fixed in the R4 server?

Is there any other way to do what I want to do?

Thanks,

		-Michael
		mickey@altos.Altos.COM

graaf@unc.cs.unc.edu (Kees de Graaf) (04/14/90)

In article <3361@altos86.Altos.COM> mickey@altos86.Altos.COM (Michael Thompson) writes:
>I am trying to use virtual buttons 4 and 5 under mwm.
>(supposedly, button "4" is buttons 1 and 2 pressed together and
>button "5" is buttons 2 and 3 pressed together)
>   ... etcetera
>I see that the problem might be that when one mouse button is held down,
>the other mouse buttons will generate ButtonRelease events but not
>ButtonPress events!  ... etcetera ...

I'm quite grateful for that! For ergonomical reasons I (and many other people
with me) believe that the optimum number of buttons - in terms of user
interface efficiency - on the pointing device is between 1 and 2. For good
reasons, apparently, Apple rounded the number to 1 (one).
What is your aim, Michael, a mouse with a keyboard sitting on its back?   :-)