[comp.windows.x] A bug in non DS3100 X server from DEC

aperez@caribe.prime.com (Arturo Perez x6739) (04/14/90)

From: sun!sunne.East.Sun.COM!uunet!XVAX.BBN.COM!KEMPLER
Subject: RE: Long query about color XOR'ing
To: sun!sunne.East.Sun.COM!atexnet!cvbnet!caribe.prime.com!aperez

I didn't read your whole message, but I discovered a bug that is:

If you use XOR or OR THE FIRST TIME YOU DRAW TO A PIXEL on some of DEC's
workstations (GPX, VS3200 but not the VS3100) the lines dont come out
for XOR or come out in yellow for OR regardless of the color your drew with.

DEC has confirmed the bug and is supposed to get back to me about
future patches,fixes, etc.

To avoid this behavior, the only thing you can do is make sure that the
first draw you do to a pixel is done in GXcopy mode.

I hope this helps. Feel free to forward this to the xpert list.

- Lisa

p.s. a related problem is that after a window is obscured, there is no
memory of the pixels having been written to, so the problem will reoccur
until the redraw is done (after the expose event is handled).
Arturo Perez
ComputerVision, a division of Prime
aperez@cvbnet.prime.com
Too much information, like a bullet through my brain -- The Police