[comp.windows.x] XView and Xrm Resource Manager

david@jpl-devvax.JPL.NASA.GOV (David E. Smyth) (04/10/90)

>rick@hanauma.UUCP (Richard Ottolini) writes:

>>At least XView has a fighting chance now due to its
>>relative "openness".

and I responded:

>No toolkit which is not based on Xrm has a fighting chance.

Some people were not sure what I meant by this statement.  My assertion
is this: XView not only ignores the Xt toolkit, but also bucks the
trend by ignoring the Xrm resource manager.

Heather's comment to me was "That's an unqualified potshot...
FYI:  XView does use X11 resources and xrm."

Heather is correct in a technical sense: there are several places where
information is obtained from the Xrm database.  However, it important
to note that a significant difference in philosophy exists between how
Xt and XView make use of resources.  Specifically, resources are an
integral part of the object concept of the Xt toolkit, whereas they are
optional features inconsistently and rarely used by the XView toolkit.

For example, using any of the Xt widget sets, one can specify fonts,
colors, translations, and the like for individual components of the
interface from resource files.  This flexibility and addressibility
allows such tools as the WsXc "widget interface interpreter" recently
posted by Martin Brunecky.

The limited use of the Xrm resource database, and the lack of
addressibility is seen as an advantage by some people within Sun.
Specifically, they feel that a consistent look and feel can be
maintained in this way, whereas the Xt approach promotes chaos.

If anybody want my long analysis of the limited use XView makes of
the Xrm database, send me mail, and you'll get all 466 lines of it.

David Smyth                david@jpl-devvax.jpl.nasa.gov
Senior Software Engineer,  seismo!cit-vax!jpl-devvax!david
X and Object Guru.         (818)354-6344
JPL, M/S 301-260, 4800 Oak Grove Drive, Pasadena, CA 91109

hvr@kimba.Sun.COM (Heather Rose) (04/14/90)

In article <7713@jpl-devvax.JPL.NASA.GOV> david@jpl-devvax.JPL.NASA.GOV (David E. Smyth) writes:

>Some people were not sure what I meant by this statement.  My assertion
>is this: XView not only ignores the Xt toolkit, but also bucks the
>trend by ignoring the Xrm resource manager.
>
>However, it important
>to note that a significant difference in philosophy exists between how
>Xt and XView make use of resources.  Specifically, resources are an
>integral part of the object concept of the Xt toolkit, whereas they are
>optional features inconsistently and rarely used by the XView toolkit.

The key difference between the philosophies of XView and Xt is this:  Xt
is meant to be a general purpose intrinsics platform for building a wide
variety of user interface toolkits.  XView is meant to be an OPEN LOOK
user interface toolkit.  While Xt provides mechanism and very little
policy, XView provides policy which is defined by the OPEN LOOK spec.

XView is not as consistent as it should be with resources.  We've cleaned
up some of these things in the next release.  However, how XView makes use
of xrm is really not the issue here.

The issue is how easy is it for the end user to make their user interface
choices?  Sun does not think it's reasonable to expect each end user to
become X and Object Gurus just to make choices in the environment.
It is the toolkit's and the environment's responsibility to provide ease
of use tools to allow end users to make easy choices for customization.

For example, Suntools offered the program, defaultsedit.  Very rarely
did Suntools users touch their .defaults file.  If we would say to the
customer, "you have to modify this widget name and search around
to find out what the accepted values are.  Oh and let me explain the
difference between an instance and a class," they'd just look at us like
we were crazy.  It is my opinion that Sun users are not significantly
different than users of other similar systems.

I had the privilege of training a secretary on the Suntools platform.
I showed him how to change his environment and use the programs.  It is
a very eye-opening experience to explain things you take for granted to
someone very foreign to the system.  It was surprising to me how something
such as defaultsedit can be seen as so complex by someone else.

The user interface specification, OPEN LOOK, defines that all applications
should have a property sheet which will present customizable issues to the
end user graphically.  The problem with XView is that it does not make it
easier for the application programmer to define property sheets.  The
problem is also that few of the general toolkit options are presented
on the desktop property sheet.

While XView is addressing a certain class of resource issues which use
xrm to solve, it will not be as flexible as Xt since it needs to remain an
OPEN LOOK toolkit.  One of the advantages of having a strong policy is that
the end user can use a large number of applications and expect consistent
behavior from all of them no matter which vendor releases the application.

For example, the Byte article that went by a while ago mentioned that the
Mac toolkit was the GUI with the most consistent look and feel among
applications.  I have read other stats that say Mac users know an average
of 12 applications while users of other similar systems only know 3
applications.  The learning curve goes down for the next application when
the user can apply experience learned from previous ones.  This kind of
consistent behavior is what OPEN LOOK describes and what XView implements.

No matter what toolkit is used to implement an application, if it is an
OPEN LOOK application using an OPEN LOOK toolkit, the end user should not
be able to detect the underlying mechanism.  No surprises means greater
success using the environment.
Heather Rose, Window Systems Group, Sun Microsystems, Inc., hrose@sun.com
    Perhaps your XView question has been answered before.  Find out by
sending e-mail to xvstuff@kimba.eng.sun.com with Subject "help".