[comp.windows.x] Any known problems with X11R4 on BSD4.3?

tro@adiron.UUCP (Tom Olin) (04/13/90)

We have built X11R4 on a VAX-11/780 (you remember those, don't you?) running
BSD4.3.  At least some of the clients are failing to talk to remote servers.
For example, "xterm -d sunrise:0" xpires with

	xterm: Error 15, errno 25: Inappropriate ioctl for device

while "xeyes -d sunrise:0" roll up with

	XIO:  fatal IO error 49 (Can't assign requested address) \
		on X server "sunrise:0.0"
	after 29 requests (17 known processed) with 0 events remaining.

sunrise is a Sun-4/150 running xnews 1.0.1.  The same messages result when we
try running the clients to a DS 3100 running DecWindows.

Things worked fine under R3.  Something seems to have broken in R4.  We have
applied fixes 1-9 (except the Apollo- and IBM-specific ones).  Also, the R4
clients run fine directly on and between the workstations.

Before somebody here dives into the debugger with this, does anybody out there
know anything about this problem?  At the least, does anybody have R4 clients
(xterm, in particular) running on BSD4.3 and displaying on other machines?
|    / \    Tom Olin      ...!uunet!adiron!tro       (315) 738-0600, Ext. 638 |
| == PAR ==================================================================== |
|    \ /    PAR Technology Corp., 220 Seneca Turnpike, New Hartford, NY 13413 |

envbvs@epb2.lbl.gov (Brian V. Smith) (04/14/90)

In article <9004122225.AA00458@adiron.adiron>, tro@adiron.UUCP (Tom
Olin) writes:
|> We have built X11R4 on a VAX-11/780 (you remember those, don't you?) running
|> BSD4.3.  At least some of the clients are failing to talk to remote servers.
|> For example, "xterm -d sunrise:0" xpires with
|>
|> 	xterm: Error 15, errno 25: Inappropriate ioctl for device
|>
|> while "xeyes -d sunrise:0" roll up with
|>
|> 	XIO:  fatal IO error 49 (Can't assign requested address) \
|> 		on X server "sunrise:0.0"
|> 	after 29 requests (17 known processed) with 0 events remaining.

Run "fixincludes" which comes with gcc and re-compile everything!
This is a new candidate for the most-frequently-asked-questions.

_____________________________________
Brian V. Smith    (bvsmith@lbl.gov)
Lawrence Berkeley Laboratory
I don't speak for LBL, these non-opinions are all mine.

doleh@math-cs.kent.edu (Yaser Doleh) (04/14/90)

Olin) writes:
> We have built X11R4 on a VAX-11/780 (you remember those, don't you?) running
> BSD4.3.  At least some of the clients are failing to talk to remote servers.
> For example, "xterm -d sunrise:0" xpires with
>
> 	xterm: Error 15, errno 25: Inappropriate ioctl for device

Did you compile X11R4 using gcc ?  If yes then did you run fixincludes script
that comes with gcc source ?  We had something similar on our SUN machines.
If that is not the case then I don't know what is the problem.

> applied fixes 1-9 (except the Apollo- and IBM-specific ones).  Also, the R4
> clients run fine directly on and between the workstations.
>
> Before somebody here dives into the debugger with this, does anybody
out there
> know anything about this problem?  At the least, does anybody have R4 clients
> (xterm, in particular) running on BSD4.3 and displaying on other machines?

We had X11R4 running on our VAX/BSD4.3 for about since it was released in Jan.

Hope this will help

Yaser Doleh   <doleh@math-cs.kent.edu>
Department Of Mathematics & Computer Science
Kent State University
Kent - OH 44242