[comp.windows.x] Xview vs. Motif speculation; Re: Free Motif

dbrooks@osf.org (David Brooks) (04/12/90)

In article <90Apr12.013507edt.3571@smoke.cs.toronto.edu>,
moraes@cs.toronto.edu (Mark Moraes) writes:

> I quite understand that OSF has to charge money for their source
> licenses.  Membership has its privileges.  If not, what would be the
> point of being a member.

It must be time to say this again:

Being a member is not a prerequisite of licensing OSF/Motif source.
From its first release in August 1989, it was available on equal terms
to members and non-members alike.  The number of non-member licensees
(which includes some interesting names :-) far outweighs the number of
members.  And many of the licensees won't be selling it as a (binary)
product, but are using it internally.

Membership does have its privileges, but that's not one of them.
--
David Brooks				dbrooks@osf.org
Open Software Foundation		uunet!osf.org!dbrooks

chan@hpfcmgw.HP.COM (Chan Benson) (04/13/90)

> I'm not for everything being freely available, but programmer's
> toolkits that support an interface that you're trying to make a
> standard so that people will buy your product over someone else's (ie
> Motif for OSF/1 vs Open Look for Sun/AT&T) are probably a good idea to
> write off (ie give away for free).

Hmmmm. Why does the phrase "trying to make a standard so that people will
buy your product over someone else's" strike me as rather absurd?

Let's see, how freely available was SunView source? What Unix windowing
system probably supports the largest number of applications?

			-- Chan

dacseg@uts.amdahl.com (Scott E. Garfinkle) (04/14/90)

From article <1210031@hpfcmgw.HP.COM>, by chan@hpfcmgw.HP.COM (Chan Benson):
>> I'm not for everything being freely available, but programmer's
>> toolkits that support an interface that you're trying to make a
>> standard so that people will buy your product over someone else's (ie
>> Motif for OSF/1 vs Open Look for Sun/AT&T) are probably a good idea to
>> write off (ie give away for free).
>
> Hmmmm. Why does the phrase "trying to make a standard so that people will
> buy your product over someone else's" strike me as rather absurd?
It may not be the most elegant possible English, but the sentiment is
right on target.  I find it hard to believe that the committment by
various companies to all kinds of competinging "open" "standards" (two
distinct buzz-words) is in any way altruistic.  OSF (including HP) wants
Motif to succeed so that the members can sell more of their frammistans
(widgets? :-)).

> Let's see, how freely available was SunView source? What Unix windowing
> system probably supports the largest number of applications?
A useless comparison.  Sun did not *need* to give away source.  Sunview
is only popular on Suns; ic it's "the most popular", it only
because there are a lot of suns around.  I, personally, would be happy to
be using Motif on my 386 Unix boxes; however, I will continue to use
Athena Widgets until I get a decent generally-available toolkit.  It looks
to me like openlook will probably get there first.
	-Scott E. Garfinkle

Disclaimer:  I not only don't speak for Amdahl, I don't even work for them.