[net.news] Not-quite-duplicate article arrived here.

karl@osu-eddie.UUCP (11/29/84)

From: karl (Karl Kleinpaste)

Something weird is going on out there. Yesterday, Lauren Weinstein's article
about the satellite test came around with no problem. This evening, we got a
second copy of that same article,  except that this 2nd copy is damaged, and
in  some  fairly obscure ways. The two paths by which it arrived  are  quite
different. The major problem with the bad article is that various characters
have been replaced by others, particularly '.', even in the Message-ID.

Here below are the original,  good-condition article as posted by Lauren and
received  here,  followed  by   a   diff   of  the  good-condition  and  the
bad-condition article. I don't  work  in  the  guts of news, so I don't know
where  to  go  looking for the problem, but I'd  suggest  tracing  down  the
various machines in the bad article's path first.

Diffs between articles (`diff good.article bad.article`):
3c3
16c16
< already planning to send some of the mod.* groups and some of the
---
> already planning to send some of the mod.*.groups and some of the
18c18
< that would also be suitable for broadcast if appropriately screened.
---
> that would also be suitable for broadcast,if appropriately screened.
20,24c20,24
< I would appreciate it if anyone who would be willing to act as
< a "screener" for netnews materials for the satellite experiment
< would get in touch with me by mail as soon as possible.  The idea
< is to get a group of people, each of whom screens a certain segment
< of netnews and filters out the unsuitable and repetitious materials.
---
> I would appreciate it if anyone.who would be willing to act as
> a "screener" for netnews mat.rials for the satel.ite experiment
> .ould get in tou.h with me by mail as soon as possible.  The.idea
> is to get n group of pnople, each of w.om screens a ceztain segment
> of.netnews and filters out the unsuitable and repetitious materials.
29c29
< scheduled into the satellite data stream on a repeating basis.
---
> scheduled into the satellite data stream on a repea.ing basis.
31c31
< It would be helpful if volunteers were on machines willing to
---
> It would be helpful if volunteers were on machi.es willing to

Original article (with > in front of every line):

--
From the badly beaten keyboards of                       best address---+
him who speaks in _*_T_y_P_e_* _f-_O-_n-_T-_s...                                   |