[comp.windows.x] X Books

klee@gilroy.pa.dec.com (Ken Lee) (08/18/89)

I used to periodically post a bibliography of technical publications
(mostly magazine and journal articles) on the X Window System.  I
thought this was useful because there few tutorial books available on
X.  Since then (it was only a few months ago, but that's a long time in
the rapidly changing workstation world), several good tutorial books
have appeared, but, for a long while, few technical articles have.
I've also been lazy, so haven't kept the bibliography up to date.  A
few good articles have recently come out, mostly on the second wave of
X stuff, like PEX and Motif.  I'll try to update the bibliography and
post it soon.  In the mean time, here are some good books for

Scheifler, Gettys, & Newman, *X Window System*, DEC Press

This is the bible on Xlib and the X protocol, but not especially good
as a tutorial.  You need this as a reference, even if you get something
else.  Shipped with the X11R3 distribution from MIT.

Nye, *Xlib Programming Manual*, O'Reilly & Associates
Jones, *Introduction to the X Window System*, Prentice-Hall
Johnson & Richard, *X Window Applications Programming*, MIS: Press

These 3 are similar, all tutorials Xlib programming.  The first was
written by a technical writer and is the most professional looking.
The other 2 were written by experienced X programmers.  The Jones book
has lots of useful tips on using Xlib.  The Johnson & Richard book has
lots and lots of sample code, but the coverage is thinner than the
Jones or Nye books.  None of these is as complete as Scheifler's
book.

Young, *X Window Systems:  Programming and Applications with Xt*,
Prentice-Hall

Despite the typo in the title, this is a pretty good book.  It's the
only one that covers the X Toolkit, explaining both writing widgets and
using them in applications programs.

There are a few others out there.  The ASP books are just reprints
(word for word) of the MIT manuals.  You might want to buy those if
your printer is tired.  Several more are in the works.  Some of these
should be excelent.

Enjoy.

Ken Lee
DEC Western Software Laboratory, Palo Alto, Calif.
Internet: klee@decwrl.dec.com
uucp: uunet!decwrl!klee

david@ics.COM (David B. Lewis) (08/19/89)

<
< These 3 are similar, all tutorials Xlib programming.  The first was
< written by a technical writer and is the most professional looking.
< The other 2 were written by experienced X programmers.  The Jones book
< has lots of useful tips on using Xlib.  The Johnson & Richard book has
< lots and lots of sample code, but the coverage is thinner than the
< Jones or Nye books.  None of these is as complete as Scheifler's
< book.

The Nye book is a two-volume manual covering Programming and Reference.
Volume 3 is a "using X11R2 applications" book.
At some point soon, Volumes 4 and 5, covering Programming and Reference for
Xt and Xaw, will be available.

The Jones book is being updated.

Look also for two other books on Xt programming, by reputable people,
to be out in January.

< Young, *X Window Systems:  Programming and Applications with Xt*,
< Prentice-Hall
<
< Despite the typo in the title, this is a pretty good book.  It's the
< only one that covers the X Toolkit, explaining both writing widgets and
< using them in applications programs.

A second edition will also be available soon.
--
David B. Lewis david@ics.com ics!david@buita.bu.edu david%ics.UUCP@buita.bu.edu

"Smuggling -- it's not just a job, it's an adventure!"

argv%eureka@Sun.COM (Dan Heller) (08/19/89)

In article <2532@ics.COM> david@ics.COM (David B. Lewis) writes:
> At some point soon, Volumes 4 and 5, covering Programming and Reference for
> Xt and Xaw, will be available.

oops. I think you typo'ed.  Volume 5 from O'Reilly is on XView, not Xaw.

dan <island!argv@sun.com>
-----
My postings reflect my opinion only -- not the opinion of any company.

kim@cs.columbia.edu (Taeyon Kim) (05/03/90)

Can anybody send me a list of X and Motif books?  I would appreciate it if
you can suggest some good books.

Thanks.

--
						Taeyon Kim
						(212) 222-2609

vania@osf.ORG (Vania Joloboff) (05/03/90)

The five OSF/Motif books edited by Prentice Hall are:

OSF/Motif Style Guide ISBN 0-13-640491-X
OSF/Motif User's Guide ISBN 0-13-640509-6
OSF/Motif Programmer's Reference ISBN 0-13-640517-7
OSF/Motif Programmer's Guide ISBN 0-13-640525-8
OSF/Motif Application Environment specifications (AES) ISBN 0-13-640483-9

The author is "Open Software Foundation".

Also by Prentice Hall

The X Window System, Programming with Xt
	The OSF/Motif edition

author is Douglas A Young

ISBN 0-13-497074-8