[comp.windows.x] more PS/2 xdm problems

johnson@ecovsh.eco.ncsu.edu (Amy Johnson) (05/03/90)

Hi.  Thanks to those who responded to my authorization problem.  But xdm still
has problems getting the X server started.  I've tried many combinations of
Xservers and xdm-config but always get the message: Cannot open /dev/tty
to query
device id.  Has anyone else run across this problem???

By the way, I'm running AIX 1.2 with X11R4 xdm on a PS/2 model 70.

Thanks,
Amy <johnson@ecovsh.ncsu.edu>
    <johnson%eceugs@ncsuvx.ncsu.edu>

My xdm-errors contains:

Cannot open /dev/tty to query device id
XIO:  fatal IO error 32 (Broken pipe) on X server ""
      after 0 requests (0 known processed) with 0 events remaining.
      The connection was probably broken by a server shutdown or KillClient.
error (pid 165830): Server for display :0 terminated unexpectedly

and the output with the -debug switch is:

DisplayManager.errorLogFile/DisplayManager.ErrorLogFile value
/local/adm/xdm-err
ors
DisplayManager.daemonMode/DisplayManager.DaemonMode value true
DisplayManager.pidFile/DisplayManager.PidFile value /local/adm/xdm-pid
DisplayManager.lockPidFile/DisplayManager.LockPidFile value true
DisplayManager.remoteAuthDir/DisplayManager.RemoteAuthDir value
/usr/lib/X11/xdm
DisplayManager.autoRescan/DisplayManager.AutoRescan value true
DisplayManager.removeDomainname/DisplayManager.RemoveDomainname value true
DisplayManager.keyFile/DisplayManager.KeyFile value /usr/lib/X11/xdm/Xkeys
creating socket 177
Found new display:  :0  secure /usr/bin/X11/X
StartDisplay :0
DisplayManager._0.resources/DisplayManager._0.Resources value
/usr/lib/X11/xdm/X
resources
DisplayManager._0.xrdb/DisplayManager._0.Xrdb value /usr/bin/X11/xrdb
DisplayManager._0.cpp/DisplayManager._0.Cpp value /lib/cpp
DisplayManager._0.startup/DisplayManager._0.Startup value
DisplayManager._0.reset/DisplayManager._0.Reset value
DisplayManager._0.session/DisplayManager._0.Session value
/usr/lib/X11/xdm/Xsess
ion
DisplayManager._0.openDelay/DisplayManager._0.OpenDelay value 15
DisplayManager._0.openRepeat/DisplayManager._0.OpenRepeat value 5
DisplayManager._0.openTimeout/DisplayManager._0.OpenTimeout value 30
DisplayManager._0.startAttempts/DisplayManager._0.StartAttempts value 4
DisplayManager._0.pingInterval/DisplayManager._0.PingInterval value 5
DisplayManager._0.pingTimeout/DisplayManager._0.PingTimeout value 5
DisplayManager._0.terminateServer/DisplayManager._0.TerminateServer value false
DisplayManager._0.userPath/DisplayManager._0.Path value
:/bin:/usr/bin:/usr/bin/
X11:/usr/ucb
DisplayManager._0.systemPath/DisplayManager._0.Path value
/etc:/bin:/usr/bin:/us
r/bin/X11:/usr/ucb
DisplayManager._0.systemShell/DisplayManager._0.Shell value /bin/sh
DisplayManager._0.failsafeClient/DisplayManager._0.FailsafeClient value
/usr/bin
/X11/xterm
DisplayManager._0.grabServer/DisplayManager._0.GrabServer value true
DisplayManager._0.grabTimeout/DisplayManager._0.GrabTimeout value 3
DisplayManager._0.authorize/DisplayManager._0.Authorize value false
DisplayManager._0.authName/DisplayManager._0.AuthName value MIT-MAGIC-COOKIE-1
DisplayManager._0.authFile/DisplayManager._0.AuthFile value
/usr/lib/X11/xdm/aut
h-server
DisplayManager._0.resetForAuth/DisplayManager._0.ResetForAuth value false
DisplayManager._0.userAuthDir/DisplayManager._0.UserAuthDir value /tmp
StartServer for :0
Server Started 165831
'/usr/bin/X11/X'
display manager paused til SIGUSR1
Before XOpenDisplay(:0)
pid: 165832
Manager wait returns pid: 165831
Server for display :0 terminated unexpectedly, status 2817
Terminating session pid 165832
Manager wait returns pid: 165832
Display exited with REMANAGE_DISPLAY
StartDisplay :0

...etc....

keith@EXPO.LCS.MIT.EDU (Keith Packard) (05/04/90)

> Hi.  Thanks to those who responded to my authorization problem.  But xdm still
> has problems getting the X server started.  I've tried many combinations of
> Xservers and xdm-config but always get the message: Cannot open /dev/tty
> to query
> device id.  Has anyone else run across this problem???
>
> By the way, I'm running AIX 1.2 with X11R4 xdm on a PS/2 model 70.

The problem occurs because the IBM server opens the current tty to do hot-key
switching between X and other virtual screens.  I suspect you may be able to
work around this problem by changing the "/dev/tty" string in
mit/server/ddx/ibm/AIX/hftUtils.c at line 509 to "/dev/console".

This may solve some of the troubles you're having; but as I have no IBM machine
to test it on, I can't be sure.

Keith Packard
MIT X Consortium

jsw@xhead.esd.sgi.com (Jeff Weinstein) (05/04/90)

In article <1990May3.143220.2743@ncsuvx.ncsu.edu>,
johnson@ecovsh.eco.ncsu.edu (Amy Johnson) writes:

> Hi.  Thanks to those who responded to my authorization problem.  But
xdm still
> has problems getting the X server started.  I've tried many combinations of
> Xservers and xdm-config but always get the message: Cannot open /dev/tty
> to query
> device id.  Has anyone else run across this problem???

  If you don't start the ps/2 X server with a controlling tty you need to
give it a flag to tell it what type of display you have.  So, you should
try one of the following, depending on what type of display you have:

	Xibm -vga
	Xibm -8514

	--Jeff

Jeff Weinstein - X Protocol Police
Silicon Graphics, Inc., Entry Systems Division, Window Systems
jsw@xhead.esd.sgi.com
Any opinions expressed above are mine, not sgi's.