[comp.windows.x] Mac style "Word Processor" under X?

eric@spock.UUCP (Eric Volpe) (05/02/90)

Anybody know of a WYSIWYG "Word Processor" for quasi-computer-illiterate
(or at least computer-phobic) users who can't deal with embedded formatting
commands, editors, and formatters? I'd hope for something that would
let them fiddle around with fonts and sizes and adjusting/filling, etc...
Is there anything like this out there? (I haven't gotten X11R4 yet, maybe
on there?)

			thanx!

				Eric Volpe

Eric Volpe					  ...uunet!hsi!yale!spock!eric
Choate Rosemary Hall '90			[.sig still under construction]

mdb@spock.SanDiego.NCR.COM (Matt Bateman) (05/02/90)

In article <1990May2.044830.19927@spock.UUCP> eric@spock.UUCP (Eric Volpe) writes:
>Anybody know of a WYSIWYG "Word Processor" for quasi-computer-illiterate
>(or at least computer-phobic) users who can't deal with embedded formatting
>commands, editors, and formatters? I'd hope for something that would
>let them fiddle around with fonts and sizes and adjusting/filling, etc...
>Is there anything like this out there? (I haven't gotten X11R4 yet, maybe
>on there?)

From one SPOCK to another, I think I have found just what you're looking for.

We are currently using Framemaker from Frame Technologies, which is _very_
Mac-like.  These people worked with Apple to develop the look and feel of
the program.  It is a very powerful word processor and desk-top publisher.

We are currently running under Suntools, but when their new release is
available in X (June timeframe) we will be switching over.  They have an
older release working under X, but after using the new one, I would do
without rather than use the old version.  Yes, the new one is that much
better.

They have a demo version which will allow you to use all of the features
except the save command.

You can contact them at:
(408) 433-3311  or
comments@frame.com

Note:  I am not affiliated with Frame Technologies, except for the fact that
	   I am a satisfied customer.

#include <stddsclmr.h>                      uucp:...!ucsd!ncr-sd!ivory!mdb
Matt Bateman,  NCR E&M San Diego            arpa: mdb@ivory.SanDiego.NCR.COM

david@jpl-devvax.JPL.NASA.GOV (David E. Smyth) (05/03/90)

In article <1990May2.044830.19927@spock.UUCP> eric@spock.UUCP (Eric Volpe) writes:
>Anybody know of a WYSIWYG "Word Processor" for quasi-computer-illiterate
>(or at least computer-phobic) users who can't deal with embedded formatting
>commands, editors, and formatters? I'd hope for something that would
>let them fiddle around with fonts and sizes and adjusting/filling, etc...
>Is there anything like this out there? (I haven't gotten X11R4 yet, maybe
>on there?)

Contact Island Graphics.  We Beta releases of their IslandWrite,
IslandPaint, and IslandDraw here.  These programs are sorta like
MacWrite, etc. and SunWrite, etc, but they use the Motif user
interface!  GREAT stuff!

David Smyth                david@jpl-devvax.jpl.nasa.gov
Senior Software Engineer,  seismo!cit-vax!jpl-devvax!david
X and Object Guru.         (818)354-6344
JPL, M/S 301-260, 4800 Oak Grove Drive, Pasadena, CA 91109
------------- P.J.O'Rourke Quote of the Day: -------------
Never strike anyone so old, small, or weak that verbal
abuse would have sufficed.

vladimir@prosper (Vladimir G. Ivanovic) (05/04/90)

In article <7958@jpl-devvax.JPL.NASA.GOV>, david@jpl-devvax (David E. Smyth) writes:

>Contact Island Graphics.  We Beta releases of their IslandWrite,
>IslandPaint, and IslandDraw here.  These programs are sorta like
>MacWrite, etc. and SunWrite, etc, but they use the Motif user
>interface!  GREAT stuff!

I was VERY disappointed in the ease of use of SunWrite, coming from a
Word 4.0 background.  I believe that Island Graphics did the original
SunWrite.

-- Vladimir
P.S.  These are MY opinions.